Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Project! Hitachi EX120-2

Lumberjack Matt ยท 2022-03-25 00:14

Hi, just figured I'd share my new machine. I bought it for work around my property. Been looking for a machine this size for years, but the prices have continued to go up. This one is a little rough, but I like wrenching on stuff so why not. Got it for $10k, came with 3 buckets. It's a 1996, 9k hours, nice and simple, no excessive electronics. It's currently still about an hour from my house, been trying to get it working so I can load it onto a trailer. Engine runs great, but there is something wrong with the hydraulics, I think I know what and how to fix it though. Every cylinder leaks, needs a half dozen new hoses, a tree fell on it at some point and smashed the top, but I think but it's all fixable. I'll just post updates here as I get it home and work on it for those that are interested.

Replies15
  1. #1Lumberjack Matt2022-03-25 00:23

    More pics of the tree damage. Landed right on top of the radiator cap and elbow for the hydraulic oil cooler. Deere wanted $2300 for a new cooler...hahaha! Found a cheap Chinese replacement for $400. Gonna have to replace the radiator too probably. The top of the hydraulic tank (where the cap screws into) is smashed, and I'll have to replace that I think, because water appears to be getting into the hydraulics. It's about $250, so I'll have to bite that bullet. I purchased the electronic versions of the shop and parts manual, still trying to find an operators manual. Also bought a cable and software for the Hitachi Dr. EX diagnostic tool. I think I'm set!

  2. #2Lumberjack Matt2022-03-25 23:48

    As expected, the issue was that the pump sensors and wiring harness were all messed up. The pump was running at full tilt, and was shutting the engine down as soon as I tried running any hydraulics. There were multiple wires that were shorting out, and I also changed the pump angle sensor to be safe. The fuse panel was also pretty rough and a bunch of fuses were missing or blown. I forgot to bring electrical tape, so the blue stuff in this picture is pieces of latex gloves I cut out and wrapped around the wires as a quick and dirty fix to keep them from shorting The oil cooler has not arrived yet, so I cut off the cooler neck and spliced in this coolant hose. It looks pinched off, but its actually letting some fluid go through it. It'll eventually shoot the hose off I'm sure. I drove the machine around for a bit, it is definitely going to work. Just needs a full service, a few new hydro lines, and a complete going-through of the wiring. Not a bad deal in my opinion! I'll have it back at my place early next week.

  3. #3skyking12022-03-26 11:05

    congrats on your new project. I work a 1998 Deere 120, very similar.

  4. #4smithrib2022-06-09 01:56

    Very cool project! I have an ex120-2 too. May I ask where you found the Hitachi Dr. EX diagnostic tool?

  5. #5wmikec2023-07-24 15:26

    Is that a piece of copper wire holding the throttle open?

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-07-24 21:13

    I'd thoroughly clean and inspect the Chinese oil cooler. You don't want to add contamination. Actually I'd be a little leery about using a Chinese cooler for such an important function but you have much more enthusiasm for bringing an abused machine back to decent condition than I do. Good luck with your new project.

  7. #7Lumberjack Matt2023-07-27 09:27

    14 gauge romex

  8. #8MIKE POIRIER2023-07-27 11:38

    been watching the series on youtube , i almost picked up the same machine but landed a komatsu pc50 insteadgood luck

  9. #9Lumberjack Matt2023-10-16 22:14

    Starting to get deeper into things... Does anyone have a source for the weather stripping that is used to mount windows and seal doors, etc? I don't have much experience with that kind of stuff. Also, there is like 1" thick foam all over the engine bay and body panel sides for what I'm guessing is sound deadening...is there a generic replacement for that stuff?

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-10-16 23:09

    Any glass shop that does auto glass should have the rubber window mounting. Weatherstripping comes in rolls of various thicknesses. Most automotive, industrial or RV stores carry it.

  11. #11Georgia Iron2023-10-17 00:06

    Looking good.

  12. #12Acecadet2023-10-17 00:37

    Love your content on YouTube Matt. Keep up the great work.

  13. #13Welder Dave2023-10-17 00:42

    Kind of funny. It reminds me of the Hopto 1900's belonging to Henuset Pipelines that had all the sheet metal removed for faster and easier servicing and hose repairs. The 1900's weigh 103 tons.

  14. #14code_xi2023-10-23 07:51

    Greets from Finland, Great content in youtube Matt! Thanks. Working on similar project, Volvo EC210CL. Thought mine was dirty but nothing compared to yours. Left final drive is still on the table as I have been sourcing parts for it to keep cost level acceptable for therapy machine... Here those rubber seals and insulation materials available from industrial shops.

  15. #15Lumberjack Matt2023-10-28 23:51

    thanks!