I am new to the forum and yes this is my first post. I would like to say thank you to all of the regular posters, as I have had difficulty finding a heavy equipment site which provided information for everyday issues. I have found a wealth of information in the old post here. Thanks to all who have contributed. Some Background info: I am considering the purchase of a used excavator and have narrowed it down to a few models Cat, Hitachi, and possibly John Deere? This is based on parts and service availability in my area. My budget for the purchase is between $20,000.00 and $25,000.00. I know that is not a lot, but realistically it is what I have to spend. The machine will be used on the farm (removing stumps, cleaning ponds, etc. the usual stuff) and to dig a basement or two for some new construction I have planned and maybe some side jobs to provide extra income. Size wise I am looking at a Hitachi ex100-2, ex 120-2 or a ex 150 (I really do not have high hopes of finding a 150 in my price range??) or a Cat 312 size machine. I have a single axle tractor and a 40ton lowboy to move it with. I know many recommend bigger machines, and I am not opposed, but have just not found any in decent shape in a price range I can afford. Yes I want an excavator, not a backhoe or dozer or loader. I had a Dresser TD-8E, which many told me was to small for farm work, but it worked out very well for me and over several years I accomplished quite a bit of work. I also took some side jobs for extra income and found I was getting similar rates to the guys with the big machines with much less operating expenses. My Question: My main concern after reading a lot of post is the electronic controls on the Hitachi. Are the Cat machines really simpler to work on, or do they really have less electronic controls?? From a maintenance standpoint should the electronic controls and/or issues be a real concern when making a purchase. I have read post where a new Hitachi computer can be in the $2000.00 range. Do you bypass this with the Cats? Do they have an equal amount of electronic gadgetry?? I will be honest, I am a pretty fair mechanic when it comes to mechanical things, but the electronics really are my biggest fear in buying a machine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your replies.
Good day Mule Power most if not all modern excavators rely upon electronic control units, some can be by-passed for emergency operation. None of these ECU's are easily fixed but most in our experience are reasonably reliable. All are at risk of damage by arc welding - excavating high voltage cables ect. The general principle is that a machine may have two or more units, meeting emission regulations has seen many injector pump replaced by the ECU, should these fail so will your engine. Some education in the care and damage prevention may well be wise. if you have any questions please email [email protected] Kind regards Uffex
Uffex, Thanks for the info. I have been continuing to search old post and try to educate myself on these machines, before I make a purchase. It would appear by your comments and a few more post that I have read, that none of the machines are better, when it comes to electronic controls, be it engine, hydraulic or drive? They all have just as many, only different systems?? This is my assumption anyway. Money being no object I would lean toward the Cat, but all of the looking I have done, it seems I can get a nicer Hitachi Machine for the same money as a rough Cat. I was just getting a little nervous searching Hitachi threads after seeing several mentions of electronic related issues, but it seems after viewing some Cat thread that they are equally troublesome??
The electronics are woven into every aspect of the machine from the engine to the hydraulics, even on machines 15 plus years old regardless of the make. The Deere and Hitachi are the same machine. These machines are not cheap to work on, getting used parts does help if thats an option for the part you may need.