I’m working on a 289D TAW03183. I fixed the seat switch and put a new primary fuel filter on. The clear one below the fuel pump. The machine starts and runs fine but the driver alert light stays on solid not flashing. I tried everything I have done in the past and it stays on. I checked the filters and coolant. I need some help on what all can make it stay on. Thanks in advance. Tom
Whatever is causing the driver alert to illuminate solid must be a Level 1 Event. This indicates a parameter is trending in a direction that may indicate damage could occur if the operating condition persists. For a Level 2 Event it would be flashing and for Level 3 it would be flashing plus the warning horn. Question: Does the driver alert flash and the warning horn sound when you first turn the key ON while the panel is doing its self-test.? Is there any chance that you have one of the switches in the cab in the "wrong" position and that could be causing the alert to light up.? Because your machine has no Advanced Diagnostics Panel proably the only way to discover what Event is causing the illuminated driver alert is to hook ET up to it.
Ok. I’m trying to save a 50 mile haul each way. And several hundred dollars in tech fees. I have the owner’s book but it doesn’t identify what causes it. Anyway thanks for the help. Tom
Have you tried warming up the engine to normal operating temperature.? The driver alert could be something as mundane as a "Low Coolant Temperature" warning.
Unfortunately that's the way it is these days. You need to see what the computer sees in order to effectively troubleshoot. Only other option is to load up the parts cannon.
Yep. Cat protect their products pretty well. LOL. I’ll keep hunting for the problem
Try my suggestion above of starting the machine and running it up to normal operating temperature. Does it appear to drive OK and do the implement hydraulics work OK.?
Yes. Everything seems to be working fine. I’ll get it out tomorrow and get it warmed up and use it for a little while.
What area in TX are you located.?
Nige, I’m in south Texas about 40 miles northwest of Corpus Christi.
OK, I will put the word out to see if there is an independent tech somewhere close to you who can read the Codes without you having to haul it anywhere.
Ok. Thanks. I’m getting older and it’s getting harder to understand the technology in the later equipment. Tom
Update on driver alert light. Finally hauled the machine into Holt Cat. The service manager is very nice. I had spoken to him beforehand and he said he would scan it and if nothing was found I could be on my way. He found that the bucket position sensor was bad. Told me if I didn’t use it don’t worry about it.
If you want to troubleshoot it the procedure is attached. The procedure contains a truncated schematic for troubleshooting. If you want a complete machine schematic please ask.