What is this all about? I see this on another email I just got about it: In response to the high volume of questions regarding the Continuing Education requirements of the new 520 CMR 6.00: HOISTING MACHINERY regulations, that went in to effect on November 8, 2013, the Department of Public Safety ("Department") would like to inform you that enforcement of the Continuing Education requirements shall be begin on May 1, 2014. Licensees whose Hoisting Machinery License expires prior to this date will not be required to submit Continuing Education at the time of renewal. Hoisting Machinery Licenses that expire on or after May 1, 2014 shall provide Continuing Education at the time of renewal. Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required Continuing Education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 Continuing Education cycle. No Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License is in an inactive status. What exactly is this continuing education stuff and how do I do anything for it My license expires 6/25/2014 so it falls under needing to provide "continuing education at time of my renewal"
I tried to get an answer to this very question and this is what the dept of public safety sent me! "At the moment, there are no approved individuals or organizations to provide Continuing Education. However, as the Department continues to receive and approve Continuing Education programs our website will be updated. Please follow this link to view the list of approved continuing education programs for Hoisting Machinery." are they serious!!!???? I'm just stressing over this because my license comes up for renewal in june!! what are they gonna do tell me to go get my "continuing education in may?" I don't get it? why cant they just explain what is going on?
I got that followup email as well from them. Mine comes up for renewal in June also. If only they didn't expire on your birthday. I'm concerned about training as well. I'll probably have to pay for it out of pocket which sucks. Seems they are not prepared for this and it just came out of nowhere. You would think they would have some stuff in mind for what is acceptable for training. I'd wonder what the training will be as well. Cause I kind of just had some experience not being licensed and then took the test. So maybe some downtime without a license if the training stuff doesn't get squared away before renewal. Can I bill them for my downtime if I can't renew my license cause they are half assing it?
lol, I'm sure they will pay your bills for you wile they are trying to figure out where and when you can go do your C.E. training. Ha! and what good does this do you?? "Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required Continuing Education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 Continuing Education cycle. No Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License is in an inactive status." it just gets better and better. I understand why they are doing this. I just wish they would every once in a while THINK before they act and have their $@#! together.
Not to hijack the thread, but this MA hoisting stuff, is this in addition to NCCCO requirements? Just curious.
This may be similar to any Contractors license here in Florida. In order to renew, you have to have X amount of hours of C.E. in order to get the license. I did mine online through a State approved C.E testing institute. I believe it was 14 credit hours, plus another 1 hour course and test on my local county codes. Basically said, you watch the videos that you select or the mandated videos and complete the test after each course. Passing score is 100%and at the end of the test you are able to go back over the exam and do it again and again, as many times as it takes to garner a 100% score. I tried to write down the answers for the retakes and they mixed up the order of the questions each time. Yes, it was a pain and it was a 100 dollar bill out of my pocket. But then, just get my Class A License with all of the endorsements is $190. I feel that it's just another means of revenue generation.
Im not looking forward and also pretty upset with this all. Every body I talk to seems to agree that it will most likely be similar to taking a competent person excavation safety or osha 10 type class. Id be more understanding if it was for new unexperianced operators but guys who have been paying faithfully to renew their lic. for a while.... How much will we have to spend to take these said classes.... Im also nervous, I will be out of state for 4 months and if I cant take a class now and my lic will be expired by the time I'm back how will I legally go right back to work until I get my credits?
Hi Everyone, I have been trying to stay on top of this and I am currently putting together paper work and curriculum to be submitted to the state to do a training center to provide the con ed. This doesn't go in to affect until May 1, 2014. I can't see the state demanding you have all the con ed if you r license expires lets say May 15, 2014. I would like to think they have to have a grace period, especially since they offer no places to get the credits. I could be wrong
Hello, I'm going for my RI hoisting license for loader/backhoe can anybody can give me any insight on the test?
Just got my notice by email that i have to get my continuing ed credits before i can renew my license, there was also a number to call to arrange for a class, i just got a call back from the class provider. I have a 1B,2A,3A , they offer a combo class for the 1&2 for $395 ! and a seperate class for the 3 for $95 ! Are you kidding me ? Its gonna cost me $450 dollars to get the license renewed , and the class is over an hour away, they dont give a combo1,2&3 class , so that means i'll have to drive there twice, so theres 4 hrs of commute time and a tank of gas! The worst part is i havent worked in over 2 years, cant afford groceries , nevermind gas! A freind of mine is an electrician and he pays $175 to get his renewal and they have classes all over the state. The prices for the courses are ridiculous, and this school offering the courses is obviously taking advantage of being the sole provider (as far as i know)of these classes in ma.. Man , talk about the state kicking you while your down.
The more i think about this the more pissed i get. There are probably alot of guys like me out there that havent worked steady in a few years and cant swing the money for the renewal easily . So what do ya do? take a pass and shelve the license ? what happens if an opportunity for work comes up? No license , no job right? So what does a guy do , does he throw in the towel and get on the dole like the rest of people he's been supporting all his working life? Hey , why not? then i can hang around in the gin mills , get a new i phone , maybe get a few tats , and hey how about a new grill? This just shows ya how far out of touch the elected officials in this state are with the working class.They're making it harder and harder for a working man to make a living, hey , im all for saftey and training, but why do i have to pay for it? If the illustrious state of taxachussettes wants me to be saftey trained , then why arent they providing affordable training for us ? They keep making the rules and we keep paying and taking it in the keester! Im pretty much at the end of my working days so it doesnt hurt me as much as it does a young guy with a wife and a couple kids with a couple car payments and a mortgage. But like i said it doesnt really affect those in office , just us , their subjects , ya know the peons. Okay rant over , think i'll grab a beer!
I just went through this BS with my MA Construction Supervisors Licence, now again for my HE?? ***, I think the Politicians in this state that come with these crazy ideas should also have to take continuing education classes. Its just another way for someone to make more $$ off of us. And I'm sure you'd all agree that these days we don't have much to take. I just feel bad for the guys unemployed that hold a license that now have to fork over that cash just to hold that license for when they get back to work. This state is just becoming ridiculous.
I feel your pain, I think the state should offer these classes for free, if not to all but especially the un employed.
Ya know what the funny thing is ,( and i dont know about the rest of you, but) my email came with the massachusettes state seal proudly displayed on the header of the email, which made me think that it was in fact an official email from the state, however, it turns out that it is actually from a school called cranes 101 in bellingham ma. I dont know if the guy who sent the email works for the state or the school or both, but either way i think its probably a conflict of interest by using that state seal in that context, Anyway, that being said i got on the states website and found that there are a handfull of these schools that provide the cont.ed classes, one got back to me through email last night and he said the class could be taken online for a cost of $100 ! A hell of alot less then the $450 i was quoted from the other guy, i will look into this further today and see if i can get some more details . But you are right JD , this whole thing puts a hardship on those that are unemployed and have been for some time , This just shows us how out of touch with reality these effin politicians are , If the economy was a little better it wouldnt be so bad.It also amazes me how many different types of licenses there are in the great commonwealth of taxachusettes, get on the site and search for licenses and there are hundreds of proffessions that require a license for a fee. All this B.S. started back in the 80's with the plumbers, soon after the electricians, then recently the building supers license, and now the state has deemed it necessary for you to have a license to run ductwork, which means an electrician cant run ductwork from an exhaust fan or a dryer without that license ! Its getting ridiculous! Whats next? , if you drive a diesel pickup , will you need a special license?
BINGO !! For all you taxachusettes guys ,I just heard back from the school that offers the online class APPROVED FOR ALL LICENSE CLASS (1,2,3,)here 's the info [email protected] Office: 508-987-1852 Fax: 508-987-1853 Like us on Facebook! Home Your Education About us Contact us Take a Tour Main menu H.V.A.C.R (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration) Steam Engineering Continuing Education for Boiler Operators & Engineers in Oxford Continuing Education for Boiler Operators & Engineers Online Continue Education for Hoisting License Special License Solar Geothermal Waste Water Treatment Hoisting and Forklift Facility Technician Pipefitting Training At Your Site Job Placement Links Continue Education for Hoisting License Online Continuing Education for Hoisting License Use our computer Lab every Thursday from 9:00 AM to 1:00PM in Oxford Or do it from the confort of your office or home. You will be allotted on week to finish the course. The fee is $100 per person regardless of the number of licenses that a person holds. Our program is approved by The Massachusetts Department of Public Safety for the following licenses: 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C,2D, 3A Classes at your site are available, Please call for details (508) 987-1852 (Register Now) Add us to your circle! Course Outline For Class 1 Licenses (1B,1C, 1D) MM1008 - Proper Use of "Riggers" Handbook MM1009 - Safe Working Loads for Various Types of Slings and Hardware MM1010 - Types of Rigging and Lifting Equipment MM1011 - Inspecting the Rigging Equipment MM1012 - Planning a Rigging and Lifting Job MM1019 - Safe Performance of Lifts with a Mobile Crane MM1020 - Safe Movement of Materials/Equipment with a Mobile Crane MM1021 - Safe Performance of Lifts with a Boom Truck MM1022 - Safe Movement of Materials/Equipment with a Boom Truck OS0801 - Cranes Module 1 OS0802 - Cranes Module 2 MA0102-Applicable Laws and Regulations of Massachusetts Course Outline for Class 2 Licenses (2A, 2B, 2C, 2D) MM1008 - Proper Use of "Riggers" Handbook MM1009 - Safe Working Loads for Various Types of Slings and Hardware MM1010 - Types of Rigging and Lifting Equipment MM1011 - Inspecting the Rigging Equipment MM1012 - Planning a Rigging and Lifting Job CY0901 - Equipment pre-checks on the backhoe CY0902 - Check, add, and identify proper lubricants on the backhoe CY0903 - Equipment deficiencies specific to the backhoe CY0904 - Safety precautions associated with the backhoe CY1401 - Equipment pre-checks on the bobcat CY1403 - Equipment deficiencies specific to the bobcat CY1404 - Safety precautions associated with the bobcat MA0102-Applicable Laws and Regulations of Massachusetts Course Outline for Class 3 Licenses (3A) MM1008 - Proper Use of "Riggers" Handbook MM1009 - Safe Working Loads for Various Types of Slings and Hardware MM1010 - Types of Rigging and Lifting Equipment MM1011 - Inspecting the Rigging Equipment MM1012 - Planning a Rigging and Lifting Job MM1014 - Proper Use of Rigging and Lifting Equipment MM1015 - Safe Performance of Lifts Using Manually-Operated Lifting Devices MM1016 - Safe Performance of Lifts Using Electric-Powered Lifting Devices MM1017 - Safe Performance of Lifts Using Hydraulic-Powered Lifting Devices MM1018 - Safe Performance of Lifts with Air-Operated Lifting Devices MA0102-Applicable Laws and Regulations of Massachusetts About us Student help center Mailing list Classes login Copyright © 2013. Technology Learning Center- Business School. Designed by Sitesville.com
All I can say is I'm just finding out about this crap and it is crap now . so you not only have to pay the state but now $100 for this bull crap course plus the last time I renewed you need a medical card. They just can't find a way to make it any harder for everyone. you can't call to ask any questions. so what has changed in digging a hole ?????????? that we need a refresher coarse on and I assume this is not a 1 time deal . I have had my license for a long time now you think we would of heard of what ever this crap is way before it came about ?? this is just another in a long line of crap lately from the state. Some one start a petition to repeel this new regulation I will sign it !!!!!
Im with ya cat320, but $100 is alot better than what the first guy sent me , he wanted me to come to his school and take the first course for class 1 & 2 for $350 , then return on another day and take a class for $95 for the class 3 ! The school is over an hour away so thats 4 hrs of drivin and probably a tank of gas, of course he never mentioned the class could be taken on line for $100. BTW the school he is representing is cranes101 in bellingham ma, anyone ever hear of it ?
THANK YOU!! Both mine nad one other employee of ours are up May and I haven't been able to find any list anywhere for someone who offers courses....however, I did just get the Cranes 101 email too. We, too, can't afford to lose 2 of our 3 man crew to a stupid course to be tested on paper for the **** we have been doing for the last 30 years in the field! The MassGov website sucks! I,too, just went through this for my construction supervisor's license. Figured Cranes 101 did the schooling now but have been looking for an online course. Thank you so much for posting this info!! You may have saved what was left of my sanity.
THANK YOU!! Both mine and one other employee of ours are up May and I haven't been able to find any list anywhere for someone who offers courses....however, I did just get the Cranes 101 email too. We, too, can't afford to lose 2 of our 3 man crew to a stupid course to be tested on paper for the **** we have been doing for the last 30 years in the field! The MassGov website sucks! I,too, just went through this for my construction supervisor's license. Figured Cranes 101 did the schooling now but have been looking for an online course. Thank you so much for posting this info!! You may have saved what was left of my sanity.
heres a list of approved schools for the cont. ed programs in ma.Approved Engineering Schools for all you taxachusettes guys, i got it off the mass.website Click on the trade for that approved schools: Hoisting Pipefitting Sprinkler fitting Refrigeration Technicians Engineers and Firemen (Boiler and/or Turbine Operators) __________________________________________________ Hoisting The following schools have been approved by the Department of Public Safety and is necessary to fulfill the continuing education requirements to renew the Hoisting Machinery License: "@-Leisure" Contractor Licensing (online) 4 Prospect Ct. Kingston, MA 02364 Program Coordinator: James Veneto (617)875-2381 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D 2A Excavator Continuing Education Course 24 Spring Bars Rd, 2A & 2B Falmouth, MA 02540 Program Coordinator: Lin Hughes (508)548-0866 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D All Phase Training, Inc. 42 Tremont Street Duxbury, MA 02332 Program Coordinator: Daniel Eaton (781)603-7115 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D Cranes 101 57B Mendon Street Bellingham, MA 02019 Program Coordinator: Jay Sturm (508)966-4100 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 3A, 4B, 4C, 4E, 4F Hoisting & Portable Engineers, Local 4 (Local 4 Union Members Only) One Engineers Way Canton, MA 02021 Program Coordinator: John J. Gaffny, Jr. (781)821-0306 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 3A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 4F, 4G IATSE Local 481 Studio Mechanics (Local 481 Union Members Only) 10 Office Tower Park #218 Woburn, MA 01801 Program Coordinator: Gregg McCutcheon (781)376-0074 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B Richard A. Eldredge Training & Qualifications 11 Edgehill Lane Bellingham, MA 02019 Program Coordinator: Richard A. Eldredge (508)254-8489 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 2A, 2B, 2C Russell Corner Hoisting Engineer Continuing Education 100 Rear Wales Ave. Avon, MA 02322 Program Coordinator: Russell Corner (508)922-1800 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D Technology Learning Center (online & in-class) 11 Buffum Dam Road Oxford, MA 01540 Program Coordinator: Antoine L. Chamoun (508)987-1852 Email: [email protected] Courses offered for the following restrictions: 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 3A
Have you checked with tlcedu.com (Technology Learning Center?) They have a facility in Oxford, MA. The class is $200 for 4 hours at the facility, or $100 for the on-line class and you have a week to complete the course. Not sure if multiple licenses are covered in the course. Their phone is 508-987-1852 and for info, the email is [email protected] . I got the same email with the state seal at the top, but the place sent out a correction afterwards saying they are not working for the Commonwealth of Mass.
I went with Jim from At Leisure. He has it all online and offered a discounted price for the first couple of weeks. Pretty good that you can do it online rather than pay a crazy price to go sit in a classroom. And this can be when you want to do stuff. It saves your place where you left off which is helpful.
Hi loadstardirect, yes i did , check post # 15 i have taken my update and they do cover multiple licenses, the guy running the show is Tony , great guy to deal with, although the cost has increased for the online class its still cheaper than the crooks out there filling their pockets at our expense! The courase tlc offers is laid out great and easy to follow, and for anyone who has had the license it should be a snap , it covers everything we do as operators and should know anyway.Its a great brush up course.