Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new skid steer. tl6r

Kutter's ยท 2025-08-12 17:50

I'm looking at trying to get a new skid steer. I've found a tl6r that fits my budget and is a nice machine 2019 model 1400 hrs. I'm worried it might be to small for my needs about the only thing i use a skid steer for is laying out smaller pads and driveways, Harley raking lots when I'm done root raking with the dozer.do you guys think the machine would handle. id love a tl10 or 8 but haven't found one in my budget that a dealer has for easier financing

Replies10
  1. #1KSSS2025-08-12 20:33

    I would think that is pretty small. Go bigger and you could likely get more use out of it and do things that you may be doing with larger equipment now. Like the saying goes, a lot can always do a little, but a little can never do a lot. There are limits to that of course but a 10 would allow you to still do the small pads and run a Harley rake but allow you to move a lot more material and load a truck easier and so forth. I would be hesitant to buy small because it meets the budget, paying more to get more may be a better value in the long run.

  2. #2MG842025-08-12 21:09

    Might not be an apples to apples comparison, but I have a Kubota SVL65-2 that I use for my excavating and construction business. The SVL 65-2 is bigger than a TL6R but smaller than a TL8R. For me I want something that's easy to haul behind a pickup, fits through a 6' gate and does general 'skid steer' type stuff. I use it for flat work on small slabs and pads, light excavating jobs, grapple work on land clearing jobs, spreading gravel, moving materials, drilling post holes, etc. It has enough reach to load my tandem dump truck, lift capacity to move full pallets of block, and enough power for light excavating jobs. I don't push it hard on dirt work like most guys do their CTL's, I have a dozer for that and IMO a dozer is far superior for grading and dirt work. I've never run a Harley rake on mine (I prefer a tractor mounted one) but I'm sure it would handle it fine. Only negative I see about the TL6R is they only come in a narrow track version, I like the 15" wide tracks for better flotation. Might try renting a TL6R and TL8R for a week or so and see which meets your needs. Most United Rentals have both.

  3. #3CM19952025-08-12 21:17

    That would be money well spent OP - IMO. Rented a 926 wheel loader from Thompson recently for a underground detention system to move the rock backfill and also see if one would be a fit with our operation. Win-win.

  4. #4Kutter's2025-08-12 22:31

    that's all very good points and i agree with that on the dozer. that's the main reason i don't want a tl12 or equivalent size machine. i have a 450 dozer and im about to buy a 850 size for bigger dirt moving jobs this machines job would solely be finish clean up spreading driveways ect. 90% of it's grapple work would be just more grubbing or raking

  5. #5Kutter's2025-08-12 22:32

    i reached out to cowin this afternoon he's gonna get back with me tomorrow

  6. #6MG842025-08-13 07:36

    I run a fairly heavy 72" rake style grapple on my SVL65-2. When I bought it I was a little concerned it would be too much for the machine but it's not. The machine has plenty of pushing and lifting power to take full advantage of it and it's built heavy enough I'm not going to tear it up. Works excellent for cleaning up behind the dozer.

  7. #7Kutter's2025-08-13 23:05

    thats a good looking setup, it doesn't seem the tl6 is much smaller then the 65 spec wise besides slightly more narrow

  8. #8Kutter's2025-08-14 21:17

    i ended up finding a 333d at a very good price thinking I'm gonna try and get that machine anyone have any experience with the 333d

  9. #9Dutchboy2025-08-15 21:01

    They have good balance and power to the ground but go take it for a test run. Some of the Deere's in that series with electric joysticks are jumpy and difficult to use for fine grading. The G series does better with that.

  10. #10Kutter's2025-08-16 17:54

    this one seems really clean for the year it has about 1700 hrs on it. high flow not sure if you could even get standard on a 333d but figured id add that