Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to Backhoe/Loader ownership, Leaking fluid question.

Woosterdelt ยท 2015-01-22 07:01

Hello, New owner of a 1983 Case 580D (2wd) for farm use. I do need to find a service manual and looking at a some on ebay, but until it arrives I have some questions for the forum. Drove the machine home from the shop that was selling it. It was there for repair to the Reverser Shuttle. It was about a 4 mile drive. When I put it into the shed, I noticed some leaking underneath and investigated. There was evidence of milky gray fluid running down the front face of the transaxle on either side of where the drive shaft enters, but not where the drive shaft enters. I have not yet pulled up the floor cover to investigate, but will do that this afternoon. My theory is that rainwater entered the transaxle while it was sitting out for sale, then on the 4 mile drive in 4th gear, I heated up the fluid/water in the transaxle and it overflowed somewhere on the top of the TA probably where it entered. Just wondered of that theory holds any water? Also, what fluid should I use in the Transaxle? I am expecting to do a few fill/operate/drain sequences to clean the water contamination out of there, so I was going to use a lower cost alternative for the wash out fluid then fill with good quality fluid. Thanks for your opinions/advice. I am looking forward to tinkering and using this new toy, and I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. I have already learned a great deal from reading Threads on this Forum.

Replies9
  1. #1Deon2015-01-22 07:32

    I remember reading earlier on this forum that water can enter into the transmission through the shift lever boot, especially if your hoe has no cab.

  2. #2Dirtdauber2015-01-22 07:55

    A 580K has a dipstick under a plug in the floor and I'll bet a D does too. If you need to do a flush, Tractor Supply recently had some hydraulic oil on sale for a little over $20 for 5 gallons. I might flush with this but would not work the machine any with it in there and would probably even raise the rear of the tractor off the ground while running it for the flush. The manual on my K calls for Case Transaxle Fluid only, but I would think any good tractor transmission oil would be fine. The fluid in my K looks OK, but I plan to change it soon anyway. Let's see what others on this forum recommend.

  3. #3Woosterdelt2015-01-22 08:21

    Thanks Dirtdauber.

  4. #4sheepfoot2015-01-22 21:10

    I would pick up the boot for the gear shift lever before you change the lube out. The dip stick is between the gear shift lever in the floor and the seat support bolted down. Some may still have the plug cover that you pop up and you should see the ring on the end of the dip stick. The trans drain is at the rear on the rt hand corner, The trans/rear end holds 5 gal of a GL4 lube, you can also use a straight 80w or 90w. Make sure you have 2 five gallon empty buckets before you start draining incase you drop your drain plug in your bucket because it may be to late then to find a container. I have drained 9 gallons of water and lube out of them before, can you say (o-****) as it is running over the top and you don't have a extra bucket handy.

  5. #5Woosterdelt2015-01-22 21:26

    Thanks sheepfoot. I drained the TA today and only about a gallon drained out, which puzzles me a bit. Why would it bubble out the top if it was so low? Heat? I still have to pull the floor pan off and clean off the top of the transaxle. It's so full of dirt, that it wants to fall in the dipstick hole when you pull the dipstick. Thanks again!

  6. #6willie592015-01-22 22:14

    It's been a long long time since I've worked on a D, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the transaxle and the 4 speed gearbox are different reservoirs, two different drain plugs. Also, the D didn't have wet brakes so it doesn't require Hytran in the transmission.

  7. #7Woosterdelt2015-01-24 21:41

    Well, I think I figured out the low fluid in the TA. It ran out the seals in the right brake housing. Problem now is the diff lock collar is stuck/frozen on the stub shaft and I cannot get the brake disc assy off the shaft. I broke the diff lock fork disassembling the housing so I'll need to track one of those down. Anyone ever deal with the diff lock collar frozen onto the shaft? Thanks

  8. #8sheepfoot2015-01-25 11:16

    Transaxle All the transaxles used in the C/D/E/K phase1 580 backhoe, C/D/E/F/G 480 backhoe, C/D/E and other forklifts series used the transaxle made as a complete unit with the common lube for trans/rear end. Talking of the 580 the housing had several changes dealing with the brake backing plates and brake system and the front cover starting with the D series for the FWD option. The C and D along with the super D non turbo used the same style brakes. The turbo D and super D used a disc. The E used the disc and later changed to the wet style like found in the K with the plates and discs. So the first question, does your machine have a turbo so we know what style brake system you have? If you can get a puller on it you may try to put some pressure on it and force it off. Some heat would be good but with all that gear lube and brake lining you may have a flare up, so be careful and ready. It is not uncommon to break the fork in the diff lock housing when that slide coupler is stuck. You may end up having to grind or cut away at it with a 4 1/2 and 1/16 chop blade to split it, or a air hammer to bump it back and forth some to start it moving. You will also need to check some clearances on the side gears while in there. A little pull, some bang, some heat, then cut if needed which would be some work but it has to come off.

  9. #9Woosterdelt2015-01-25 13:49

    Sheepfoot, You were spot on. Broke fork. 3 jaw puller, heat, tapping with hammer ;45 min later it's off. Next challenge, the seals. Thanks.