I'm almost embarrassed to admit, but I've still been using an old David White transit. I see lots of Topcon lasers. Many models. What model is good for general excavating? Some ditches, garage pads, basements, general drainage on roads, ponds, etc. We are a small company, and I really don't know much about them. is there also some with a sort of alarm I can put on a machine to indicate grade? I have read about Topcon model RL-H5A, would that be good? A local has RL-H3C. What is better for me? Bear with me. Thanks
Spectra Precision are what some members on here recommend and generally have a good reputation.
A Topcon RL-H5A is a great laser to start with - $700-800 as a combo with a cheap tri-pod and grade rod. I have a RL-H5A which is the slope match function and a RL-H5B which doesn't have the slope match. Honestly we never use the slope match feature. Also have a Spectra GL 622N dual slope laser we use to lay pipe and run our laser box blade. The Spectra is a very nice laser with remote but it's north of $2K which is well worth it if you need that much of a laser.
Thanks Dave, I'll look into them. Another question: is it worth the extra money to get a 2 slope/grade unit? I don't think I'd use the feature much, but I can see it would be handy at times. I was looking at Topcon models: RL-SV2S and RL-SV1S Thanks again
Cm1995, what do you think of the models in my post above?
What is slope match?
Matt what is your budget for a new laser?
Well, when we get to work again this summer I wouldn't mind spending the $1700 for the RL-SV2S if it's worth it. This time of year in Upper Michigan we are off for frost laws (and now corona) , so I don't think it's smart to spend too much right now. But I'm just getting the research done since I'm just twiddling my thumbs anyhow. But I'm going to do it this year. I've been threatening myself for several years, but this time I'm serious!
But is the 2 slope good to have for the basic stuff I do? Or just go single? Honesty, the $350 difference doesn't sound too bad to have the extra function. Even if rarely used.
I have a Topcon RL-H4C, a Leica 100LR and an AGL (can't remember the model #) laser. We do mostly farm type work and have rarely needed a dual slope laser. My 'go to' laser is the Leica but honestly I don't have a very good reason why other than it's the one I'm used to and most familiar with. The AGL is a spare laser and doesn't get used much mainly because it doesn't have a rechargeable battery pack like the Topcon and Leica. I have had good luck with Spectra Lasers as well. Just my $.02
I love our Topcon RL-H4's, they are great lasers and will run our Cat laser blade. For $350 I'd go for the dual if you are already spending that much. Probably not use it that much but for that first parking lot that splits grade 2 ways it might just pay for itself.
I'm thinking the same. I appreciate the info felloe
I figured felloe was just a typo, but I looked it up. It is the part of a wagon wheel the spokes go into, so he might be calling you old fashioned, CM. I use a Dewalt rotary laser, it's manually adjustable for slope. It works good for the little I use it. One important point for me, since I don't use it everyday, or even every month, is that it runs off D cells. The one I had before it was rechargeable, and wasn't always charged if I wanted to use it.
Good point Mitch. All of our lasers run on D cell batteries. You can always find them and/or keep an extra set on the truck.
All good points fellows! Got it right this time!
Hopefully the other guys don't get too irritated, but as a guy that has been using lasers for over 25 years, you could not MAKE me go back to D-cell alkaline batteries. I won't do it. I would rather shove them, well, you know. Make sure you get Ni-MH (NOT Ni-Cad) and charge the laser each time after using it. Just my $0.02.
Shimmy, what do you know about the models I listed? Is the 2 slope worth it? Thanks for the reply
No irritation here - each to his own. What would happen to me is the laser is in one truck and the charger is in another 20 miles across town during rush hour.
I'm with Shimmy on this one. I carry a battery pack with "D cells' in the case for a backup but it rarely gets used. My problem is I'm usually working 20 miles from any place that I can buy any batteries. But for what the rechargeable battery packs and chargers cost you can sure buy alot of batteries.
As far as receivers I have a couple of Leica magnetic mounts receivers that we mount on the dozer blades. They are fairly inexpensive and seem to work well for us. IIRC CM1995 and Shimmy have alot nicer receiver setups but they probably cost quite a bit more. It all comes down to your application and frequency of use. For instance, I don't have much use for a dual slope laser because the bulk of our work is terracing, waterways and general farm type work with an occasional basement here and there. But we recently finished the initial grading for a storage unit building. The building itself is level. But in a month or so we will be going back to finish the grade for the 24 ft cement driveway that goes all the way around the building. The plans show for all sorts of slopes on the driveway and will likely be a PITA with my single slope laser. But personally I don't think I can justify the cost of a dual slope for an occasional use like that. We will see, I might be eating my words in a month or so!!!!!
I can't help you much, because I'm a Spectra guy. I spent some time with a RT-5, and tried a H5A. Had a bunch of trouble with the RT, and didn't care for the other one. Decided to try a GL-722, and haven't looked back. I think a laser is like a piece of equipment. My Spectra dealer is exceptional, and that's why I stick with them. As far as dual slope, you don't know you need it until you don't have it. I do a lot of building-site grading and natural waterway work, and use the dual slope quite often. You are going to be the best judge of if you need it or not.
I think the dual slope feature is worth it. Especially for only $350 more. I won't buy a laser without dual slope capability. Maybe you are already aware but dual slope still gets you only a single plane. In the world of rotary lasers there are (2) axis (hence dual slope). They are usually referred to as the X and Y axis. The X axis will always be 90 degrees to the Y axis (or perpendicular). If you have a single slope laser you can only pitch it along (1) axis. If you have the dual slope laser you can pitch it along both. Imagine a table top. It is a single plane (flat across the top). If you were at one end of our imaginary table you could tip the table towards you. This would put a slope along the X axis. Now imagine you tip the right side of the table higher than the left. This would put a slope on the Y axis. On a single slope laser you could program the laser to put slope in one direction or the other. If you have a dual slope laser you can do both at the same time. If we go back to our table you started off by sloping the table toward you. Now while the table is still sloped toward you, the dual slope laser can also tip either right or left as well. Remember that the table top is always a flt top, or on a single plane, so you can't make hips or valleys without resetting the programed slope of the laser. Hopefully that helps you understand the difference and the added function between the single and dual slope transmitters. I will often use the dual slope feature when grading for driveway slab prep. I would also recommend getting one that has at least 12 degree slope capability. For my area 12 degrees is the maximum driveway slope allowed by the fire department. The TopCon that I have came with rechargeable batteries, can also run on 110 power, or I can also run it on D cells. I must admit that this is very handy. I currently am running a TopCon RL1002s. At the time I bought it retail price was $3,200.00. I believe that it is the predecessor to the RL H5B. Before that I had some cheaper units (a CST and a David White -which were the same level with only a slightly different shell). I had some trouble with the TopCon going into error mode quite frequently. I also found that the cheaper units would work in colder temps than the TopCon. That was pretty frustrating for me. Especially considering that the TopCon was 2x the price as the other ones I had. While both of the cheaper units are now dead and gone the TopCon remains. I no longer have trouble with it. I will also second the consideration of service after the sale. Unfortunately I live in a rural town so I have to ship a laser out of town for repairs. I just bought (2) Leica lasers (they haven't even arrived yet) in part because of reports of excellent durability. They also have a 5 year warranty and a 2 year "knock down" warranty. That's right...Leica will repair it for free if it gets knocked down or dropped, etc. Now that I have (3) lasers I have a spare with my current crew make-up. This will allow me to stay working if one is off for repairs. Yes you can get a laser indicator mounted to your machine. You haven't said if you want a receiver for a dozer or an excavator or what. If I was to buy a receiver for an excavator I think I would go with a Spectra LR60. I like the plumb indicator but it will also be accurate at +/-30 degrees of plumb. No other brand of receiver has the plumb compensation feature except Apache-which makes the LR60 for Spectra. I would really like to get a 2D system from Leica or IDig. They work pretty much the same as the what you now find on Cat excavators but without any automation. They are a bit spendy too. The LR60 will also work on a dozer mast but one could probably buy a less expensive unit for that application.
My spectra uses rechargeable D batteries but I also keep a extra set in the case, best of best worlds. Just pull it out and charge after most jobs but if something happens I have extra batteries. My only complaint is it's very temperamental with the wind and the sensor going off. Slope is a waste of time for most IMO. Also if you're having employees run it, it adds a extra factor of messing something up. I use a LR60 receiver on my hoe for basements and it's great. I rented it numerous times to get a feel, also tried the LR50 but the plumb indicator is well worth the extra money. It cost me a little over $3,000 but the way I look at it costs say $200 a day for a guy to run a stick, 15 days and it's paid for itself, and it always shows up and doesn't screw up. It does take awhile to get use to it to make a nice hole. If you haven't used one, i'd highly recommend having a guy run a stick or checking yourself for a bit until you get use to it. I am amazed you don't see many of them around.
7 years ago I bought a Spectra UL633. I don’t use it much, but I’ve never wished for “more” laser. Buy once, cry once kinda deal.