Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me 1963 Autocar DC87

Junkyard ยท 2016-06-22 22:16

Thought I'd share my latest acquisition. 63 Autocar. 250 Cummins, it was born with a 220. 5+4, 32,500 # SINGLE rear axle. Has a military crane/wrecker on it. Very well mounted. A restoration was started many years ago, the man that owned it passed away, left it to a very good friend of mine. He owns 15 or so antique trucks. He decided to move and was thinning the herd so to speak. In return for years worth of repair work and countless hours of packing and loading for his move he gave me the truck. And a 40' flatbed full of parts! It's a looooong way from done. I want to do it right mainly because that's how my friend does things and his friend did as well. I'll share a few pics of it. I was originally going to build it into my next service truck but I stumbled onto a 750 for the right price, bought it and have worked it everyday since. Therefore I haven't touched the A-car. **Edit** I guess I can't post pics, it isn't enabled? Weird thing is I've replied to other posts with pics. Who knows. Any elder statesmen of the HEF able to tell me what's up? I guess when big brother sees fit to allow me I will send some pics haha. Junkyard

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-22 23:13

    You may have a file type that's not supported or something. When you click on the "Insert Image" Icon, second from right end up top, what happens?

  2. #2Junkyard2016-06-26 12:15

    For some reason my phone quit showing the various tabs for pics etc so I drug the laptop out while I'm at home watching my youngest terrorize the dog haha. There's a shot or two of the truck, one of my buddy's 59 B-81 loading it on my lowboy. The other pic is the trailer load of parts to go along with it. The wife says I'll have at least two of the five kids in college before it's done. One is starting her senior year, the next one behind her is going into 8th grade. Not much in the way of confidence haha!!

  3. #3Truck Shop2016-06-26 13:07

    That will be a pretty cool project! Nice example of a B-81 also. Right hand starter on that Cummins. Truck Shop

  4. #4RZucker2016-06-26 13:21

    I've seen pics of that wrecker before, ATHS showtime?

  5. #5Junkyard2016-06-26 16:38

    Al used to be really active in ATHS and has had that wrecker a long time. He's held several shows at his place over the years as well. He's got several trucks that are very photogenic. It's a tough old bird. I've got a B81-SX myself but it's not anywhere near as slick as that one. I would say the old crane was used hard here and there. Lots of places the crane has been repaired and fishplated. All well done. It'll be handy to have around for sure. My first task is to get the front hubs done so it'll roll and then get it running to make sure it's all ok before I get to the details. Not too many fellers around who can run a set of sticks! Junkyard