I'm new here, been trying to do some reasearch on a newly acquired "free" 580B. Was given to me by the neighbor who just sold his property and had no way to transport it. So it was either abandon it to the new property owners, or give it to me. So I gladly took it off his hands. It's been sitting a few years, got it running, the old diesel starts right up now. The trans won't go into 1st or second. It'll roll in 3rd, but it struggled with trans slippage on the slight hill driving it home. The torque tube looks to be full of gear oil (pretty sure it's just all the smoked clutches), hydro's all work, almost all cylinders leak like crazy, hoses mostly shot, right brake non-existent, left one will barely stop you if you stand on it, and all the joints for the buckets are sloppy. She's clapped out, but....free iron is the best iron, right? Based on the serial on the column, appears to be 1972. Says 580 Construction King on the cowl, loader says 580B CK, backhoe is a different faded color yellow, with a JD tag on it. It was shedded but the stick hung out the door, so I figure maybe it faded more than rest of the beast. The former neighbor acquired it from an auction years ago. So do I have Mad Max backhoe that was a 580ck, with a 580b loader and JD backhoe stuck on it, or is this the genuine 580B CK? Considering the fact it was free and given the ridiculous prices of newer equipment that won't even run or move, is it worth sinking some money into this beast, like with the trans?
Welcome to HEF, RH ! Please post the serial number and someone will tell you what it is. Case T/L/Backhoes were all Ck's from the beginning. As they advanced production thru the years they were still CK'S but a letter designation was added to the model number. So, you may have a 580B CK. As far as sinking money into it, I think it depends on each person's preference. I spent more renovating mine than I paid for it. I would do it again because I very dependable machine in really good condition that I could sell for more than I have spent on it. Here is a link to the on-line parts book and you will see the differences in the names. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/casece/light-equipment/loader-backhoes/cn/NA_E_S_49_LOA
Thank you Tinkerer! I'm not stranger to working on basic farm machinery, I like learning as I go. Backhoes are a new thing for me though, so lots for me to learn. S\N 8698X87 X=2 or 9 (It's a bit worn through)
What do you mean by “it won’t go in first or second?” Does it not put the transmission in that gear or will the machine not move when placed in either of these gears? I know that if the shifter feels soft when trying to grab either of those gears, there is a roll pin that has a tendency to shear off at the fork.
It actually won't go in, 1st kinda feels like it goes into a short detent you can feel it click in, maybe halfway versus what a normal shift in would be. No gear grab, chatter or anything. 2nd it won't even pull back into the slot.
You will have to pull the shift plate off the top and have a look at the mechanism. My bet is a bad roll pin.
Some pictures of that discoloured hoe, for us to see, will be the best way to find out if it is Case or not.
That serial number is a 1972.
Here are a couple pics, one of the machine and one of the tag for the backhoe. It definitely looks either like an old repaint, or add-on.
Wow that's a interesting one
that is 100% not a factory Case hoe!
Yeah, I was afraid it was a Franken'hoe. I'm not finding much on E9700 backhoes either, at least not in my small bit of research so far, makes me wonder if it was an attachment or actually canibalized from a JD backhoe. I'll have to see if I can find some more numbers. I know there were a couple patent stickers still on it by some miracle, so maybe there's another model plate somewhere, but I doubt it.
Looks to be a backhoe off a 500a.
Now that is some very clever fabricating. It could be off of any one of the early Deere T/L/B's. The backhoe for a 310 looks just like it. It appears to be kinda heavy for that 580B.
I'm thinking it's 500/or 510 size a 310 had a 9300 hoe on them looks quite a bit bigger then a 310
That's not just too heavy, it's mounted too far back so it puts even more weight on the rear wheels. Hopefully you figure out the roll pin issue with the trans, and then decide if it's worth all the hoses and seals it will take to get it running reliably.
It's definitely heavy, part of the sag is due to the tires being low. Suprisingly it isn't too far off-balance, it handles pretty well though you wouldn't think so by looking at it. Haven't had a chance to dig into the trans yet, I don't have room in the shop right now so I'm working outside where it sits. It's upposed to be warmer this weekend so I may take a peek then. Right now I'm just digging up as much information as I can, pricing out parts I know will be needed and some that might be needed as I pick through it.
Keep us posted on your progress. This should be an interesting thread. I did find some information about it. It was on a 500A like Tyler said. Here is a link to the book I captured that image from. ----> https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...der__Introduction?a=4533&br=1061&locale=en-US Unfortunately John Deere didn't include the entire book in that link.
Here is a link to the parts book for that 9700 hoe. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...JT04sMTYzNjojQ0FUQUxPRyw3ODM3NjpFUVVJUE1FTlRd