I recently acquired a JD 555G. It appears to be a 2000 or 2001 model. I'm still getting used to this after spending a LOT of time operating a Case 855 and Some time on a Cat 953. I find the Cat 953 and the 555G shifting to be very similar, however the 953 shifted very smoothly, actually imperceptibly, whereas the 555G pauses between gears. Is this normal? Or is there an issue here? I don't want to work the machine until I get a read on this. Thanks! John
Welcome to HEF John . Maybe an @Administrative Admin can change the thread name from 855G to 555G . . There is a rate of shift adjustment you can try to speed the shift rate up some what. See 2 screenshots below. .
Hmmm ... Interesting. Thanks! I loved that ole 855 ... I guess its on my mind..
I've also heard that I should clean the hydraulic pickup filter ... Yes?
A 953 is hydrostatic so has an infinite speed range that will be smoother than any gear driven transmission. I think a slight pause is normal especially if you throttle down when shifting or shift at a lower RPM. An adjustment may be all it needs.
Thanks!