Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Case 1155E

cmwoody ยท 2016-10-09 18:11

Hi all, I just joined this forum to see if I may could gleen a little information about the loader that I just bought. Its a testament to US Government efficiency. 30 year old machine with 21 hours. Apparently, the USMC Engineers didn't like operating the bulletproof cab versions because they were hard to see out of, so they sat waiting for the invasion that never came. Its a Marine Corp surplus MC1155E minus the bulletproof cab. I need to pick up some body parts and a cab off of a parts machine. If any of you guys know of one sitting around rusting away nearby to NC, I'd be really grateful. May swing battery panel on the rear, hydro access panel on the right, foot boards and steps, panel that backs up the back of the guages, and of course I really need a cab or props. Won't take it into the woods without one. I am a home builder and am looking to clear lots, dig basements, backfills, etc... With it. Any tips on things to watch out for with this model?

Replies16
  1. #1cmwoody2016-10-09 18:16

    Corrected grammar version below. Sorry.

  2. #2DMiller2016-10-09 18:41

    New to me so not certain how good a choice or to deal with but in St' Louis Craigslist is a recurring lister at Wolf Lake IL, shows up on maps as Schaefer Enterprises, salvage yard for HE, loads of case units go there mainly burns but may have something: 1(800)626-6046

  3. #3cmwoody2016-10-09 20:38

    Thank you, DMiller. I will give them a call tomorrow.

  4. #4clintm2016-10-09 21:25

    there is a big junk yard in goldston. also try the parts book.com. you may get lucky and a 1150E dozer cab fit's . With it been setting all of it's life it's never gotten hot I would put it through a break in process and then run it hard because it going to most likely blow hoses and seal's start leaking so go ahead and get it good and hot. Good luck they seemed to be pretty good and tough machines just not as fast as the hydro stats.

  5. #5clintm2016-10-09 21:28

    Also try an 850 /855 cab or for a long shot 1450/1455

  6. #6cmwoody2016-10-09 22:26

    I checked the parts fiche and the 1150E seems to be the same pn#. The C and D also look the same but haven't checked. I found a C for reasonable in Iowa and an E for big money in Florida but I was hoping to find something closer. I probably have one withing a few miles rusting in a field. If I can find an 850/855 or 1450/1455 nearby I'll go measure it up. I'm not beyond doing a little cutting and welding to make something work...but I'd be a lot easier to find one somewhat local that fits. Thanks for the help.

  7. #7cmwoody2016-10-09 22:35

    And fwiw, I have been running it like I stole it...and for what I paid I think I may have! Military has taken pretty good care of it. Batteries were only a couple years old, big cylinder hoses had been swapped in the recent past, coolant and filters were tagged and marked changed in 2014. All together, its pretty good. Haven't found a leak yet. The motor does have a little, tiny amount of blow by apparent, probably from the rings never being burned in or from corrosion from ring to wall. I'm a big believer in the motoman method of breaking in a motor. The guy happens to be a Cummins engineer too so I feel pretty ok with running it hard to get the rings to set in as good as possible. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

  8. #8wdp2016-10-10 15:06

    Just bought the same machine. The reason everything is missing, cab, etc, is it was an armored cab which they had to remove prior to public sale. The floorboards were replaced with 1/4" plate, the battery door, hydraulic door, etc were part of the enclosure. Look for remanufacture date tag, it lists a date when many units were refurbished to deployment condition, new hoses, fluids, seals, etc. Generally on front left of loader. I found a "C" canopy and rops which will fit, figure to pay about 5-6 times scrap value. You might find one on an early scrap machine, there's little demand for them, more interest in wear parts.

  9. #9cmwoody2016-10-10 16:27

    Man! I have been trying to get this doofus in Iowa to get me a quote on the rops and those parts. Always an excuse! Said somebody from KY bought it on Friday! So yeah, you got me!

  10. #10cmwoody2016-10-10 16:30

    Floorboards in mine are plasma'd out of 1/2" plate...and they dont really fit so well.

  11. #11wdp2016-10-11 08:32

    There's a 1450 canopy at http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-1450-R...1f228e0&pid=100033&rk=8&rkt=8&sd=182305344363 Check the case parts site for part number fit. They're around. The shipping is the bite. Everything else can be fabricated pretty simply. There's no hinges on the covers so we'll slot lock them. With a bit of luck, your machine should provide good service. We're cleaning slash from logging and digging a few ponds on the farm and wanted something with a bit more umph. Provided the seals hold, should be ok. Worst case, it's worth more in parts with everything virtually new.

  12. #12cmwoody2016-10-11 16:26

    I'm a little worried that an old seal might blow but for what it is you are right. also, I'm adding 100:1 2 stroke oil to my diesel to help combat the lack of sulfur in the fuel. Wish there was an 1150/1155 cab on ebay. 1455 is way bigger plus has the old style mounts. I think I found one here local off a 1150C. Lots of C's in the junkyards. Machine has all the panels too and the seller is reasonable...at least after I recoiled at the first number he threw out there. $600 with the hardware and only an hour away. 10x scrap but less work than welding one up.

  13. #13DMiller2016-10-12 07:19

    Adding 2 stroke oil, ATF, Motor Oils does not help, actually adds to the gum up of injection system internals as they are not designed for heavier oils but diesel as nothing replaces Sulphur but Sulphur. Use a good additive instead there are many out there and are not lubricants intended for elsewhere. Cannot count how many engines I have worked on due to using added oils for lube in the fuel system and gummed up so bad they had to have the full system cleaned out.

  14. #14cmwoody2016-10-12 12:26

    Easiest thing would be to just get rid of the EPA... Modern fuel sucks. I have rebuilt every carburetor I own, some several times. I even run non ethanol fuel and it still goes bad fast and gums up float bowls. Diesel is getting worse too. The two buddies I have up here that are diesel techs swear by adding 200:1 2 stroke to these older mechanical injected low cylinder pressure diesels. They tell me that if I were to do the old fill up the filter with tranny fluid trick with one of my newer electronically injected common rails, that I would have some big problems. Even then, they tell me that 200:1 is still relatively ok. The guy who works on my Mercedes Sprinter swears by it in fact. That said, you've got my red flag raised. Point is to keep it running and considering how little I use it, paying a little more for the additive stuff isn't so bad. Cheap insurance. I was talking to the guy in charge of the auction site today and he is telling me that the EPA required the USMC to drain all the fluids on these tractors for storage...which seems like an absolutely idiotic idea. Things sat for years probably getting condensation accumulating inside the transmission, gearboxes and motor. Great idea for preserving our weapons of war. He was telling me of how many machines that they had that were basically new that had been robbed of parts because of something simple, like dead batteries, or gummed up fuel pumps. Its not their money, obviously. It just never ceases to amaze me just how screwed up government can be...though I still feel like its their?our loss and wdp and myself's gain here.

  15. #15sheepfoot2016-10-12 21:45

    Like said before give construction equipment parts a call, they are some good people to work with. The are on us-421 in Goldston NC, not to far from you, 1 800 727-8787. They should be able to hook you up with some parts.

  16. #16cmwoody2016-10-24 20:50

    Found one Charlotte. Got a clean orops with the rear screen and picked the machine clean of floorboards, seat pan, panels, etc... Dropped them off with a friend who sandblasts and went ahead and got some more fancy green paint. Can't wait to get this thing back together and working.