Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Clark CY50

jillmd ยท 2016-09-23 16:46

Hi, I just purchased a Clark CY50 fork lift. Serial number CY50B-134-2085. Everything seems to work except it's having a hard time idling and it feels like there isn't a lot of power. Motor spools right up, but doesn't feel like theirs a lot of power at the wheels. Anyone know a good place to get service or shop manuals for a CY50? Thanks for the info.

Replies10
  1. #1Junkyard2016-09-23 18:30

    Take a look at the plugs, cap, rotor and the regulator if it's only running on propane. They can make them run funky. If it only idles ok when you're covering the intake a bit like you're choking it that's usually a sign the regulator is shot or on its way out. I'm by no means an expert but the few propane machines I've repaired that had poor idle quaility and lack of power were one of those if not a combination of them all. Not a bad lookin machine. Junkayrd

  2. #2jillmd2016-09-23 18:52

    Thanks for the reply and I'll check that when I get home in three weeks.. By any chance do you know where I can find out the year it was made? Here is the plate that's on the machine.

  3. #3jillmd2016-09-23 18:57

    Only picture of the motor I got.

  4. #4TD242016-09-26 23:02

    Manuals Contact any Clark dealer with your serial number and he can order you any manuals you want. Truck was shipped to: Army and Air force Exchange Service, Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, Alaska on June 23, 1970. TD24

  5. #5jillmd2016-09-27 09:29

    Ok. Thanks for the info.

  6. #6mikebramel2016-09-27 09:34

    Adjust the valves, leak down test

  7. #7jillmd2016-09-27 10:22

    Do you have the procedure on a leak down test?

  8. #8jillmd2016-09-27 19:09

    Looks like I got a F163 engine. If anyone needs it, here is a link to the overhaul manual for this motor. http://manuals.chudov.com/Continental-Engines/Continental-L-Head-F-163-etc-Overhaul-Manual.pdf

  9. #9TD242016-10-03 20:41

    Idling / Power A suggestion.... Remove distributor cap and rotor. Grasp the shaft and try to "shake" it side to side or "wallow" it around. If there is a noticeable amount of slack shaft movement in the housing that could be your trouble. Upon acceleration and deceleration the shaft is not actually keeping it in "time" as it "wallows" around Slow starting and weak power as it fluctuates. Best test is to "borrow" a distributor from a running F163 engine, carefully recording the positions of each on paper,(or phone pics) swap out and try. Should this be the trouble...... Cheapest fix if you are handy with tools is to replace the bushings in the housing. It has two, one top and one lower. Again record the locations of cap/rotor positions, the hold down and wires, remove from engine, get a clean workbench area, and disassemble. With housing separate, split the bushings and remove. take the shaft and housing to a good bearing house and get oil-lite replacement bushings. PRESS these in, polish the insides a little, polish up the shaft it's length and reassemble correctly (you did note how it came apart). Reason for this is the truck was 46 years old this past June. Some of the old ones had oil cups, or even a grease fitting, neither of which was usually ever used. As long as it cranked and run, this is not noticed. The part number for a new distributor from Clark is /was 1616771. Luck!!!!

  10. #10jillmd2016-10-04 09:38

    Thanks for the info TD24!! When I get home ill take a look at the distributor.