Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me D6B

Casey Allen · 2023-07-30 20:17

I recently found a D6B to use to move dirt and trees on my property. I don’t have any issues with it but I am wondering why I can’t seem to find anything with my serial number. All I see is 37A657. It’s on the left rear of the frame. Is there something I’m missing?

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2023-07-30 20:21

    Welcome to the HEF, Casey Allen. Good to have you. We have the skill and we have the tools and we know how to chat. If you are looking for a Forum, the HEF is where it’s at!!

  2. #2Nige2023-07-31 03:02

    Welcome also. 36A657 is the Serial Number. Today it would be written 36A00657 because Cat never bothered with the zeros back then. With a machine of that era there won’t be a lot available online, even in the official factory systems. What exactly were you looking for.?

  3. #3Casey Allen2023-07-31 06:47

    Is there another place that the serial is stamped on these? I’m just looking to find a little more about it. I’d like to know what year it is and for sure what motor is in it.

  4. #4Nige2023-07-31 06:59

    If the engine is original you should find the same Serial Number on it as you found on the tractor. There are a couple of members here who have access to old documentation which would include Serial Number locations. Production of the 37A started in 1959 so I would hazard a guess your tractor dates to either 59 or 60. Manuals appear to be available. The Operation & Maintenance Guide is SEBU6451. The Parts Manual is UE033764 covering all 37A tractors. EDIT: just so that you are aware. All parts & service information for your tractor will be based entirely on the Serial Number, not the year of manufacture.

  5. #5Casey Allen2023-07-31 07:24

    Thanks for the info. Here’s a picture for fun.

  6. #6Nige2023-07-31 07:53

    This is what the Serial Number plate on the engine looks like on a slightly newer (1965) 76A-prefix D6C tractor. Yours should look somewhat similar.

  7. #7Casey Allen2023-07-31 11:42

    Thanks again for the information. It seems be a decent old machine, but I’ll have to work on it at some point for sure. I just want to have my ducks in a row when that time comes!

  8. #8Nige2023-07-31 12:35

    I completely agree which is why IMO your first requirement should be to get hold of some manuals.

  9. #9Old Magnet2023-07-31 16:01

    37A657 is a Direct Drive narrow gauge with D333A engine (4-1/2" bore) built in 1961

  10. #10Casey Allen2023-07-31 17:40

    Thanks old magnet.