Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me two No.12’s

Fat Dan · 2021-05-05 07:46

I tripped over these and fell in love, Oh bout ten, fifteen years back. They are about 15 checks on my bucket list or a third or ninth mid-life 'criseses' - lost count. 1938 Diesel No.12, 9K009320 (loving called the 9K)‍♂️. Sadly I do not have one good picture of the 8T And the 1954 No.12 Diesel 8T the S/N is eluding me right now I have three more old-timey tricks to use and one more place it may be stamped. few minutes of a bad video

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632021-05-05 07:47

    They definitely don't build them like that anymore!

  2. #2skyking12021-05-05 10:13

    How do they run? Need moar video of running-ness!

  3. #3Fat Dan2021-05-05 13:21

    Las time I saw the 8T run was to clean the parking lot bout 10-12 years back and they had to pull start it because the carb needed rebuilt. The same with the 9K except the pony started but was hammering. I'm thinking the age Ol' oil was flushed out by gas from the downdraft carb and it ate the main bearings in the pony on the 9K. Most common cause of pony the pony problem is the way the carb is made and when the pony bounces and vibrates and any gas left in the float bowl finds itself in the oil pan of the pony. The best way to avoid the problem is not to turn off the pony by using the Mag switch but to shut off the gas flow and allow the pony to run until the carb is dry of gas. I will be getting them running as soon as I can get to it... a lot of irons in the fire right now and I have a rebuilt carb on the desk in front of me waiting .... waiting .... LOL 54, 8T has the D318 w/ pony start direct drive and I'm thinking a 12v charging/lighting system. it is/was a common practice to run a 12v battery on the 6v pony starters. All New rubber updated air filter for diesel engine. I haven't run it yet but the moldboard, circle and all the adjusting linkages look and feel tight as one can say without busting a knuckle er three. 38, 9K has the D4600 looks to be in good shape ... except the pony ... the moldboard, circle and all the adjusting linkages are a bit more used ... again two er four more knuckles.... was bought for parts but it's history it too goo to let go.

  4. #4skyking12021-05-05 13:28

    Yeah it's a crime to part out a complete machine that just needs some fixing. Easy for someone else to say LOL.

  5. #5skyking12021-05-05 13:35

    I know this is silly, but I want to retire so I can run on the country messing around with somebody else's old iron I think darling wife will be on board if I don't spend too much time at each location.

  6. #6Fat Dan2021-05-05 13:42

    As per Old Magnet the 8T is pre 1955 because it is not a oil cooled clutch and it dose not have the boss cut out for a direct starter accessory or covered assembly.

  7. #7skyking12021-05-05 14:12

    That's how we shut off airplanes with magnetos too, cut the fuel. This minimizes left over fuel hanging around for one of those close encounters of the lawn mower kind if you touch the propeller and you have a broken mag wire.

  8. #8Fat Dan2021-05-05 23:31

    Stopped by quick like a bunny and grabbed a pic er two