Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to the group seeking for advice.

Wellcraft ยท 2022-12-25 11:43

My name is JR and I currently live in Modoc SC. At this moment I'm remodeling our house by myself and I'll be needing a mini excavator for a lot of things I need to do around the lot so I need advice from you guys/gals. I have never owned a tractor, excavator or anything like that other than a lawn mower, lol. Our lot is a bit steep in most areas and it's all cover with pine straws. These are some of the things that I need to do for now: I need to redo a retaining wall so I need to take down the old one and build a new foundation. Remove some pine tree stumps. Move some dirt around. Haul out some pine tree trunks from the back of the house to the front to load them into a trailer.. It will be very helpful when removing engines from boats. We are planning on building a 30x25 workshop next year and this will be very useful. In a few years we are also planning on building a 3 car garage and another addition to the house and to be able to do so we need to remove asphalt. Redo the whole driveway that it was done with asphalt. The main problem i see that i could have if I don't find the right excavator is that we have hard pack red clay and I would like the unit to dig the hard pack red clay we have without any issues. I went to our local rental place and they advice me to get a Takeuchi tb240 because is an all around machine but that is way out of budget, think it was around $60k What do you guys believe would be good for our needs, I have a f350 dually so towing it won't be a problem although I need to get a trailer for it. We don't have a big lot, is just one acre. I don't consider renting one because I want to have it and use it as I please. Plus I'm also considering on doing side jobs so it can pay for it selt, at least part of it. Thanks in advance for any advice, if you have some more questions from me to better assist me, let me know and I'll be more than happy to answer them. Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to cover all bases so you guys understand my needs. JR

Replies17
  1. #1cfherrman2022-12-25 12:55

    I'm curious about if a terrafirmanator would be a better all around machine?

  2. #2Shimmy12022-12-25 13:14

    Really? ***

  3. #3Shimmy12022-12-25 13:16

    Can't find any spam anywhere, mebbe it's legit? @CM1995

  4. #4Wellcraft2022-12-25 13:37

    Just in case, I'm not a spammer. I'm new to the forum and I'm asking a legit question. I have never owned a tractor so I have no idea what should ibe looking at/for but I'm sure the mini excavator it the best choice for what I want to do overall.

  5. #5Tugger22022-12-25 13:49

    I know you dont want to rent ,but it might be wise to rent an excavator for a bit and a skid steer or CTL for a bit . See which one you get along with best . they both will be useful and have their place on your projects

  6. #6Wellcraft2022-12-25 14:40

    We thought about it before but for the things we want to do and the access to it we need an arm with bucket and be able to rotate without having to move the whole unit.

  7. #7crane operator2022-12-25 15:09

    If $60k is way out of budget, what is the budget? If the budget is only $20,000, and then you have no money to repair what you now own, you need to rent, not own. So what is your experience with any type of equipment? What's your work background? If its nothing, don't be so quick to say "we need a mini excavator"- because they aren't the most useful for a lot of things, and if you've got no experience, how did you come to the idea that that's what you need? For me, in a "homeowner" remodel project, I think I could use a compact track loader/ skidsteer with some different attachements, bucket, forks, posthole digger, maybe a mower, etc, more than I could use a mini. Rent the most expensive thing that you will use the least (mini) and own the thing you could use the most (trackloader/ skidloader). And maybe the mini is the tool for your job, but don't be so quick to spend your money. The advice to rent some different stuff before you buy, is actually great advice. Take it one step (project) at a time, and you'll get a feel for what may be the most useful. Also- it might help to know what your time frame is for your projects. Is this your 'retirement" project, or are you doing these projects on nights and weekends around your day job. A lot of your "projects" that you list, I wouldn't find a mini very handy for. And as far as the "side projects" to pay for the machine, if you've got no experience, no skills, and no insurance, best leave that stuff to the guys that do it every day. Welcome to the forum, and there's a lot of guys here with a ton of experience, don't discount their advice, they make their living with this stuff.

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-12-25 15:12

    Welcome to HEF, Wellcraft ! I understand your desire for a backhoe with turntable. But a mini-ex is going to be impractical to move dirt and material anywhere. You need a skid steer or a CTL in addition to the mini.

  9. #9chidog2022-12-25 16:14

    I have suggestions. If you can, increase the dimensions of the shop to 40x60, you will be glad you did, and have at least one 12 x 13 foot door in it. The dimensions you gave 20x35 is barely what a normal garage is, and will fill up quickly, in all honesty that size is a total waste of time and money. For a very universal machine, a nice back hoe is what you need.

  10. #10cfherrman2022-12-25 17:53
  11. #11terex herder2022-12-25 18:32

    If you are on a very limited budget, used construction of any type isn't for you. Look up the price of a new machine of the type you desire. Now take the age of the machine you can find for the dollar amount you want to spend. Now multiply the # of years of age of your budget machine by 1% of the price of the new machine. You now have a yearly budget for maintenance and repairs for your used machine that will not typically be exceeded more than 50% of the time.

  12. #12Tugger22022-12-25 19:27

    I have a 303.5 Cat excavator .Ive had it for over 10 years ,started renting it for my business until it became too handy and i bought it from the rental co. Business has changed now and the excavator lives on the home acreage most of the time. That being said its pretty handy but overkill for most home projects now. I keep a 910Cat wheel loader at home most of the time to and find you need both machines to get these kind of acreage projects done. That said it would never be cost effective to go out and buy these solely for home use,they have earned thier keep on jobs and are basicly written off. Renting as i said is the best introduction to this kind of equipment, the stuff is work ready ,insured and good to go. when you figure out its not right for your needs you can send it back. AS for working the stuff on the open market im a pretty competent operator from using this stuff on my own jobs but im not in the excavation biz. weekend warriors dont do real well up against those who do it to make a living. youll discount your rates to keep customers satisfied to make up for lack of experience and end up with a wore out machine and no cash to repair it. You might want to look at the small farm tractor with a front end loader to start. these have an endless selection of handy attachments from roto tillers ,mowers ,augers chippers to backhoes. These things are awsome around a small acreage ,i know i finally bought a little 17 HP Kubota ,my bigger stuff sits more now. You wont find anything really good or cheaper than one of these for home work.

  13. #13Camshawn2022-12-25 21:23

    I have always had a small tractor with a loader (10 acres). I bought a small tired excavator a before we built our house. The combination worked well for us. New well, new water pipe, foundation, septic system, water leak repairs, tree stumps removed lifted trusses. We upgraded to a 35 hp tractor from 15 hp a few years ago. The excavator does not do much now except drip oil as old things do. The higher HP tractor can do most tasks now that the building is done. I would buy a used excavator planning to sell it in 5 yrs if I was to start again. Cam

  14. #14ianjoub2022-12-25 21:58

    I would heed the advice of a different machine or renting. That being said, if you go the mini ex route, sounds like you need a 5t machine, at least.

  15. #15Welder Dave2022-12-26 02:41

    Over 2000 Sq. ft. the price of my pole shed was quite a bit cheaper per sq. ft. Originally I spec'd a 30x50 with 14 ft. walls and 12x12 overhead door, $36,000. For comparison got a quote for a 40x60 (most common size)with 16 ft. walls and 14x14 overhead door, $42,000. $6000 for 900 more sq. ft. higher walls and a bigger door. It seemed like a no brainer to go for the 40x60. The crew had it up in 6 days.

  16. #16CM19952022-12-26 14:06

    Welcome to the Forums Wellcraft! Glad to have you. As others have asked - What is your budget? To be brutally honest for instance $20K is only going to buy a completely worn out Sunbelt rental CTL/skid or mini that is nothing more than a piece of green scrap iron. Trust me you do not want to invest your money in worn out rental fleet units - I know how they are operated their entire life. You are in a tough situation with the current value of decent used equipment. Tell us a little more about your budget, timeline and over all goals.

  17. #17Wellcraft2022-12-26 16:17

    Just wanted to thanks everyone for all the great responses I have received. I'm currently driving back home and will be answering all the question plus post pics or videos of our lot so you guys know what we are dealing with. I always thought a mini excavator was the way to go but that is why I'm here, I'm all ears an willing to learn. Thanks guys.