Hello, My name is Joe. Im new to your group. Im looking to purchase my first boom truck. I've ran cranes for awhile and looking to do something on my own. In shopping around and looking at load charts, I'm considering something like a manitex 26101 in a rear mount. However, I've never operated a manitex. Are they any good? Any tips? We mainly to HVAC work on residential driveways, so I need a good reach with 600-900 lbs, along with occasionally transloading semis with some heavier equipment. I would eventually like to get a crane truck as well (maybe a Terex 340XL) , but have to start somewhere for now. Thanks for all your input in advance!
Rear mount swing cab or stand up/fixed cab? I wouldn't want to run a stand up all day setting trusses, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that anyways. When you say transfering heavy equipment, how heavy? If its over 10-15,000, 26 ton boom truck isn't going to cut it. You won't handle loaded 20' conexes. And it would barely handle a empty 40'. As far as manitex, I think they are as good as any other boom truck, are you doing new or used? Condition and your mechanical skills probably are the important issues in what you look at.
Love my new Manitex, only thing wrong with it is the paint job is sh!!t I can see a lot of sanding and painting in my future. Three things I would never give up are my swing cab, hydraulic over hydraulic pilot controls and the counter weights on my new rig, the counter weight is the difference between your charts saying you can reach that far over the side and your arse agreeing with the charts, which I suspect if you’re setting HVAC you will need all the reach you can get. My boom truck is a 30112 or the Manitex 38124 is a great older machine. This is my 30112 with around 15000 on the hook that’s a lot of weight on a boom truck, I’ve had 25000 on but was glad to get it set down. Good luck with what ever you do.
That paint looks pretty good from here. LOL
I’ve had a couple panels repainted at Manitex’s expense and touched up a few places on my own.