Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New track group

TXGOAT ยท 2013-03-30 23:48

Should new track be stiff? I have new V Trak chains & pads on a D 7-F along with new sprockets. Rollers and idlers are not new, but OK. the mashine is much smoother now, but the track links are all somewhat stiff. They don't sag at the top. Is this normal? I've run the machine at walking speed a few hundred yards.

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2013-03-31 04:07

    Don't know much about the new stuff, but when I was selling track bits and pieces at the local Deere dealer twenty years ago, we kept a couple sixteen pound hammers around to flatten the new chains out so we could bolt the pads on. Especially the SALT chains, new=tight. In my opinion if you're not hearing any complaint type noises, run her hard, you'll be complaining they're loose in no time, LOL YMMV, opinions expressed may or may not actually make sense in the real world.

  2. #2OCR2013-03-31 05:48

    CMIIW, but lantraxco is right... :cool2 And, AFAICR , he's right about this, too... OCR...

  3. #3grandpa2013-03-31 08:01

    Lol.... Ocr your SFS!!! (so full of ....):wierdt

  4. #4OCR2013-03-31 08:51

    IMNSHO, you're wrong... IYKWIM. OCR... lol

  5. #5TXGOAT2013-03-31 11:48

    Tight tracks thanks for the replies. It sounds like everything's ok. The tracks are quiet.... Just stiff in the pins. I'll run them a while, and keep an eye out for any hot pins. All the pins on both sides are about the same. They're salt chains.