We are putting on new chain for the track our Cat 215 excavator. What is the easiest way to put in the connecting link pin? Do you have to have a press or can it be pounded in. It is a press fit pin. Could we lay on floor, pound pin in and then work the chain on undercarriage sprocket and idler or will it be to tight?
The press style master pin can be hit in with a sledge hammer. I would suggest freezing the pin either in the freezer or by using dry ice. Make sure the chain is lined up and ready for the master pin before you get the pin out of the freezer. Since the chain is new, you will not be able to connect the chain before installing it onto the machine.
a pin driver will help from mushrooming the head. it is just an old pin welded to a handle
Just out or curiosity, where did you get all of your parts and if I can ask how much did it cost? The reason I'm asking is I'm going to look at a 315 friday and it needs sprockets and I'm sure rails also.
First of all it is a 215 I have, my mistake. The Cat dealer in Sioux Falls has what they call "classic" parts for older machines as well as their regular parts. These parts are aftermarket suppliers that Cat works with and sells also. It can be as much as %50 of Cats regular parts price. I do not know if they will be lesser quality but our machine is for farm use so I do not think it is a factor for us. What I am doing now, both chains, one sprocket, dozen bottom roller/idlers and other parts is around $7500.00.
If you plan on driving the master pin into the link be real careful as the hardened pin has been known to chip off pieces and cause injury to anyone around the work area. I have at times, put the new pin on the grinder and took it down just enough to aid in driving it in and then tack welding both ends after it is in place. Another thing to watch for is the link will spread as you drive the pin in. A plate bolted across the link using the grouser bolt holes will stop some of the spread. The ideal method would be to use a master link press. I got a quote for a press yesterday from WTC Machinery and the press with the necessary adaptors is over $15000.
certkeiser, I do a fair bit of track work and have the kit to poke the pins home (pin press) but I would clip your tracks together with a 14lb hammer in a few moments, it might be worth having the bottles handy to give a bit of heat to the links if things start to get tight, but a few good blows to the pin set on the idler will soon sort your task, its not as bad a job as you might think.
The cat classic you bought from your cat dealer is what cat calls their Nexus brand. Most Nexus is made by DCF in Korea. DCF stands for De Chang Forging. I am always full of useless information. Good Day, Quicktrax
hi 315 chain ido alot of work on chains[i like doing that type of work] i join by sledge make up a drift. get an old main bolt from a rockbreaker and i some 1.5 inch pipe heavy wall weld an eye onto it put the bolt thew it so when you hit the bolt the person holding the drift will not get a shock
Those tie rods make a great drift dont they! Just freeze you pin over night and take a rose bud to your links. Should go pretty smooth that way. Did a 215 in the oil field once when swamping for my dad. It was a chore but we got it in. the grinding and tacking idea sounds great as well. Good Luck.
Just thought I would say that the rim swap might be harder work than tapping home a master pin on a 215, those 3 holes in the sprocket are there for a reason.
put track on machine and join links at the idler. freeze pin best as possible , freezer etc .liquid nitrogen the best but lots of hazards to use . heat link with oxy ,dont over heat. drive pin in with a drift and sledge hammer. wear safety glasses gloves etc pins. are very hard or get cat dealer to bring out portable track pressing gear and do it for you. regards excat
we always try to make line up pins that just slide through , then when the hammer comes the seals stay in place, i wounder if you are changing whole sproket/hub or doing a weld on rim ?
No problem, taken care of.