If you were going to purchase a new trailer for hualing around a Skid steer and a extra light material bucket what brand would you look at? I need something that will be in the range ofn 12.5k-15k. Thanks in advance. I will be carrying either a Blizzard 8611SS plow and a light material bucket or a stump grinder and a light material bucket.
I saw a landoll at a show with a full tilt deck which was nice for loading.but the price tag is up there for a small tag trailer. http://www.landoll.com/trailerspecs.cfm?trlrID=54
If there is a trailer mfg in your area you can buy a nice trade in or a special order that idnt go through usually for cost of materials. I have a friend that used to do that. They usually are for folks that want a trailer for a skid steer and a few attachments and when the deal breaks the owner is stuck with a trailer. Ive seen my friend hook a few buys in landscaping trailers. He bought a nice 20 footer that had a dump and a side loading ramp to load the skidsteer and 2 attachments pus the debris. I think he gave 2500 for it. Its a neat trailer just a little funny looking. I ll ask to see what kindf of trailers he may know of if your interested.
You don't list your location, trailer sales are regional by brand. Around here we see Hudson, Eager Beaver, Landoll, Big Tex and a few others. I've got an 8 ton Northern Bay with a 21 foot over axle deck I haul My skid steer with attachments on. Look for a trailer that uses Dexter axles they are easiest to get parts for.
I'm not sure where you're located, but there are a lot of good trailer manufacturers all over the country. In my neck of the woods, trail king, trail eze and olympic are all good trailers. Probably the bigger issue is which type (ramp or tilt deck) of trailer to buy. Personally, I think a ramp trailer is really handy for hauling a machine with additional attachments. Tilt decks make this a little more difficult unless you have a short stationary deck at the front. Right now I have a Olympic 10 ton ramp trailer, but hope to replace it with a Trail king 30 ton tilt in the next couple of years. The only complaint I have with my olympic is that it only has "d rings" for tie down points. There have been several times that I wish it had the winches for straps so I didn't have to risk damaging materials with chains. Good luck on your trailer search.
DKinWA, you can get 10,000 pound test rachet straps at Sam's Club for about $12. Strap
Thanks Steve. I've never seen those before (with a 10K capacity) and they'd work really slick for some of the stuff I hate to put chains on. The best part is I wouldn't have to weld the winches on the trailer and mess up my pretty paint. I just asked my wife if there's a Sam's Club around here and it's only about an hour away. The best part is, I'm going that way right after christmas. Hmmmmm, a late christmas present to myself maybe??? LOL
For some reason the link I gave has a time limit on it. Anyone interested go to Sam' Club and type "rachet" in their search engine, the straps will come up. They're 2' x 27' with hooks at each end. I use them too when hauling materials I don't want damaged by chains, they work real well.
Thanks for the input guys. I knew this would be the place to come. I will also take a look for those Dexter Axles. I would hate to be down, because I was waiting for a axle part.
From the sound of that statement you haven't been there yet. Just in case you aren't familiar with it, you do have to pay a membership fee, although if you take advantage of it it's worth the cost.
Digger's right, I think annual membership is $35. You can get a visitor's pass for a day and then pay 10% over the regular cost for your purchases. We find ourselves spending between $200 and $300 per month on "stock up" goods, but the savings is about 50% over the grocery store. You can do a walk through at no fee, but I'll bet you make a trip to the service counter before you leave!
Yep, never been to sams club. I've heard the name mentioned on a lot of BB's and always wondered what they were. I guess I now have two reasons to check them out. Thanks
you might be able to get a one day pass for sams club.
Straps Some states, including California require straps that have the rating marked on the strap along with the rating agency- In California it would be the CHP. In South Carloina, certain containers and machines require chains at the trailer corners but straps are OK on the sides. Most enforcement agencies consider torn or cut straps to be useless. There is a handy hard plastic 90 degree strap protector sold at most truck stops and places like New Haven Equipment ( they make pro-straps to order ). Most home movers can put you in touch with a local strap source. Small trailers and unbranded straps can cause functional and legal issues. There is an agency called the " national association of trailer makers." I know Eager Beaver, Fontaine, Cozad, Trail King, Trail Eze, and others are members. These manufacturers are agreed upon what it takes for a trailer to carry a certain weight rating and have engineering to prove it. These are the safest manufacturers to buy from. Straps are easy but not as durable. It is a good idea to contact the motor vehicle enforcement division in your state for securement specifications on your truck, trailer, and load. Most states have info helplines available. All loads over 10,000 require 4 point securement. Happy Trails
Steve How did you get that Northern Bay anyway? Until they went out of business they were made about 45 min away from me. Best dump trailer I ever had. Matt
My Northern Bay was a sore subject for quite some time. I ordered it in March of 2000 and was told it would be 6 weeks delivery time. That came and went, then 10 weeks, 12, 14......... I called my dealer screaming so many times that he gave me the number to the manufacturer. I called up there and got the owner, he tried to explain the problems he was having. He was put on COD by his steel supplier and couldn't get materials. He also explained he had a new investor that was going to get him up and running and to be patient. The reason I waited was this was the only 8 ton trailer I could find and I needed the extra capacity. It was finally delivered in late July!!! Another reason to spec Dexter axles: My trailer was deadlined by DOT for brakes so I returned it to the dealer for repairs, I was too busy. 1 month and $1800 later I got my trailer back. The brakes were on back order forever and cost a fortune. I wish I knew this stuff before purchase.
steve...what brand of axles are on your trailer? for that price, you could have got new axles. :eek2 Redneck trailer parts has a location in Round Lake NY...close to you? They don't sell retail direct, but there has to be a dealer near you. i get parts all the time through a friend who is a dealer. you can view their catalog online. i,ve built a few landscape trailers...used Reliable Sure-Lube axles from Redneck
That was my thought too xkvator, or I'd have traded the trailer in on a new one! That's 1/2 of what I paid for the thing in 2000. My dealer even discounted the bill by $400 because he felt bad about the cost. I don't know whose axles they are, and no one I kinow recognizes them either. They've got 3" brakes on them vs. the normal 2 1/2" or so I'm told. This is where the holdup and expense was. This is why I won't buy anything but Dexter in the future, parts are easy to come by and reasonable in cost. Thanks for the tip though, I'll check it out!
This may not be the correct thread for my question but here goes.Looking @ 12 T Dump Trailer to multiy task as Skid Trailer.Question is would sissor lift be worth the extra expense. Don't want the regret saving a couple bucks now and not have a good piece of equipment .
Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums Buckeye. Feel free to jump in.
Thanks Squizzy -- I've learned alot just being on the side lines here. Missed a chance to get to your neck-of-the-woods back in 69 (TET Happened ). Grandfather & Dad were both Dirt Diggers ,took me 57 years to get here after a carrer in Collision repair.So if anybody has Paint or Corrosion questions maybe I can return the favor's .