I have a customer looking at new class 8 trucks, up till now all of my customers have chose to keep there pre emissions trucks going, and either have E7 Macks or 3406E/C15 engines with a few N14'S for good measure. Glider Trucks have been big here, but gliders are difficult to get now, and premision trucks are 20 years old now. I guess at some point we are going to move into emission trucks, things have changed, looks like only certain engines are particular manufacturers, customer wants new, Likes a W800, what engine is not a POS? A buddy of mine has ISX engines with holes in the blocks lined up like cordwood. I have never seen a Paccar engine so have no clue. Would buy a Western Star so Detroit, or Mercedes? We have a 7600 International with an ISM, I dont think they make a more misserable truck to work on, 3/4 of the engine is under the cab, should have made it a cabover, or done like Deere Skidders and made the cab flop over to the side.
The DD-13, 15 and 16 all have there issues, the big one is keeping the overheads in adjustment-Intake valves get real tight. Fuel rails leak engine oil constantly where those pass through the head. Changing a air compressor is about as bad as it can get-located inside of left frame rail mounted to the rear structure where a starter normally would be. Compressor coolant hoses constantly leaking at the push-lock fittings. We have had two DD-16's fracture liners and hydro lock. Filters are expensive. The DD's are not all that great. And just probably the ugliest/hardest engine to work on. We have 63 of those DD's. And a set of injectors is a mere $6,000.00 .
Wow, thats alot for a set of injectors. I can buy a whole running DD 12.7 for $6,000. I guess they dont make a perfect engine, but engines in the 90's where million mile engines.
The Series 60 12.7 was/is the best engine made. IMO. But comparing a Series 12.7 to a DD15 is apples and oranges. The DD15 is a over designed/complicated engine.
What's not in this day and age?
Not much-but because few on this forum if any have worked on a DD15--they don't know what crap is, very typical Mercedes/German designing. that should raise a hackle.
I am that person, worked on detroits 20 years ago, and from what I was hearing detroit was a great engine for alot of years, I was assuming it was the same, as I havent heard the horror stories on detroits that I am about the ISX engines.
Personally I lean towards Cummins there are a ton of them out there now and yea I here horror stories but all the ones I have personally encountered with a blown motor came from bad or lack of maintenance or driver stupidity I have never been a freightliner fan so that puts a dd out but the few I looked at were just weird looking and about as bad as working on short hood internationals that's only my opinion tho Everyone of them have issues of some kind but I believe if you take good care of the motor they will probably outlast today's trucks
Thoughts on Paccar engines?
Essentially a Cummins
More no than yes, the PacCar is their total design-right along with it's own unique baggage. I rate it not much better than a Max Force.
Thanks Was not certain but is built by Cummins?
Thats not good, the max forces in caterpillar branded trucks were toilets.
As I understand it the engines in Paccar are came about when they purchased DAF out of somewhere in Europe. It was part of their vertical integration strategy to keep all the parts and service business inside their own dealer networks. I don't have any other info on them.
Glory Be another Fiat
That's correct John, Detroit/Freightliner a few years back cut off outside use of their engine. If you have Kenworth with a Series 60 your up a creek with Kenworth supplying info or parts, you give Freightliner your engine serial number and no problem. PacCar wanted their own brand to compete against the Series 60 because the 60 was killing the rest of the market. Cummins is the only stand alone. When Cat bailed it left a deep void and Detroit stepped right in with the DD15 engine which they had been working on for quite a spell. Freifghtliner has 33 to 35% of the truck market. The other big selling point for Freightliner is the DT12 speed automatic transmission which has put a hurt on Eaton's Autoshift. The resale on a PacCar product powered by a PacCar engine, well it isn't too hot.
Drove a Semi Auto shift ONE Time, just to see what was like, Kallmeyer Brothers here in town, HATEFUL POS. I see no draw.
The late version does not use manual clutch/no clutch pedal. The biggest problem with the Eaton Autoshift is backing up or backing under a trailer, it's kind of all or nothing. In winter a manual transmission is still the best because you have better control on slick surface because you can feather the clutch on start out. The late automatics not so much.
Is Mack still using Mack engines?
Velveeta-Volvo/mack
So when did the change happen for detroit, Assuming they dont call the new style engine a series 60.
The last Series 60's were the DDEC V EGR with V-pod controlled turbo, the boost on those engines would climb to 48 to 50 psi, the Series 60 wasn't designed for that much boost and those engines blew head gaskets and exploded radiators not to mention stressed air charge coolers to the max. You could tell the instant a v-pod went bad under light throttle, the turbo would start barking/ barfing back into the air cleaners with a bang. It used a variable volute turbo. The DD15 came out IIRC in 2009 and the Series 60 was IIRC discontinued in 2009 or 2010.
The smaller 5/6/8 liter "Paccar" "PX" engines are (were?) a Cummins with no special modifications that I could tell, you could take them to a Cummins dealer and they could do the warranty work on them same as a Paccar dealer. Not sure if that holds true up to this day or not but it was only in the smaller engines, the big liter engines all went Euro. (In house truck mfr. engines that is not Cummins or Cat, IH being an exception I think)