Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Truck Weight

Old Doug ยท 2016-03-21 20:18

Their thinking about buying a new daycab cummins 10sp Tractor. Their old one is older and dosent use DEF. Is there any way to get a new truck as light as the old one? They have been shoping around and this seems to be a problem.

Replies9
  1. #1mitch5042016-03-21 21:18

    I don't know, but it seems like with the DEF tank, the DPF, and all the other parts, I imagine they are a bit heavier.

  2. #2DoyleX2016-03-22 06:41

    Glider Glider Glider before the end of 2016 and loose 400 lbs of crap! Disc brakes help shed weight too.

  3. #3Shimmy12016-03-22 08:41

    Unless they're Swift or JB Hunt, who would ever want a 10 sp anymore?? Please try and convince them to get a 13 sp. And before anyone starts in, unless he's logging or driving around with +100 ton, he doesn't need an 18 sp. I personally would never buy a new truck, you couldn't give me one in fact, but to each his own. Are they looking at any brand in particular?

  4. #4lantraxco2016-03-22 14:13

    Well, depends on who you have driving it? I love the 13, but unless they've made them more bullet proof, a poor driver can take out the splitter with a little abuse.

  5. #5Shimmy12016-03-22 14:25

    Agreed, but if the driver is poor enough to tear it out, do you really want him driving your truck? I am certain there are enough "good" drivers in this world to go around. If a driver was either too incompetent or too ignorant, they would not be driving my trucks. My opinion I guess.

  6. #6Truck Shop2016-03-22 18:40

    High torque Eatons were made to pre-select the spliter. Where we have trouble is lazy drivers not matching rpm on full shift, raking the front sliding clutch til it won't stay in gear. And that is a lack of talent as a driver or just doesn't care. IMO Truck Shop

  7. #7Old Doug2016-03-22 19:45

    I would want something else to. The first truck they had i think was a 13 sp the driver has had 5 or more trucks after that with 9 or 10sp and is ok with them he is thinking about geting out and i think they think he may stay if he has a new truck. They are looking at KW and Peterbilt. If i was planing on staying there along time as a mechanic i would beg them to get a IH because its very easy to get to the IH dealer and so far the parts guys have been the best i have ever dealt with. I wouldnt buy a new truck ether but they are growing and until the warranty runs out it will be one less thing for me to work on.

  8. #8RZucker2016-03-22 22:35

    Therefore the !0 speed for JB Hunt.

  9. #9lumberjack2016-03-23 11:30

    How much more does an 18 speed cost over a 13 speed? My grapple truck has an 18 and the only time I split the low side is when I'm heavy (over ~100klbs), in tough terrain, or poking around a tight area. Coming out of a soggy area, it's nice to be able to split low to pick up a little (17%) speed. Usually when conditions require using low, you lose too much speed trying to shift from low to first. With the splitter it's a flick and my top speed goes from ~5 to near 6mph. :roll. Same deal with reverse.