Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Type of Tool Connector / Opinions & Suggestions Needed

Bottom Gun 2150 · 2018-05-04 13:08

Hi Guys, I have a question for the operators of telescopic boom cranes. Excavator extendable dipper sticks or knuckle boom truck cranes, it doesn’t matter. My question is this, can any of you see an advantage to you, the operator or to the customer, of having a wide range of tools that you can change without leaving the cab and that eliminate hanging hoses? Hydraulic couplers, tilt couplers and tools like augers, trenchers, grapples, forks, brush hogs, saws, breakers and different buckets all adaptable to an extendable dipper without leaving the cab. I’d just like to get your comments and hear your opinions. Thanks men and stay safe!

Replies9
  1. #1Graham12018-05-05 08:31

    Yes, but it is already out there for excavators. Automatic quick hitches that also connect up hydraulics and electrics, if required, from the comfort of the cab have been around for some while. Hoses routed through the body rather than dangling. Pretty expensive, but good for the right applications. People who change powered attachments a lot can save a lot of time. Also a big safety advantage in high risk areas, operator can stay in the safety of the cab. More companies are now running remote controlled machines in remote or dangerous environments and this would obviosly be a big advantage there as traditionally they only have the option of the one tool they started with. Graham

  2. #2Bottom Gun 21502018-05-06 01:54

    Thanks Graham, I appreciate you getting back to me. Are you talking about the Engcon, Steelwrist, Kinshofer or Rototilt articulated couplers? Those are pined to the dipper boom aren’t they? I’m talking about using a hydraulic pin grab coupler attachment for certain tools like buckets and other tools that don’t need power beyond then changing that hydraulic coupler attachment out with another coupler attachment with a rotator attachment for an auger or grapple. These types of coupler or rotator attachments are designed to be fitted into a telescopic boom but don’t exist yet as far as I know. I’m just trying to figure out how to approach an OEM to sell the idea but thought I’d run it past the pros first.

  3. #3Graham12018-05-06 12:32

    I was thinking of tilt rotators, but demolition guys have been using a pin grab style coupler which also connects the hydraulics. They even use it on the boom just above the rams to change from conventional front end to demolition spec. I guess as long as you have patented your idea the best people to contact would be tilt rotator manufacturers as they are very go ahead with inovation and the hire rates in Scandinavian countries are high enough to cover the extra costs. Graham

  4. #4hvy 1ton2018-05-06 14:26

    Oilquick already sells what you are talking about for knuckles and excavators.

  5. #5Bottom Gun 21502018-05-06 17:44

    Roger that, thank guys.

  6. #6JD955SC2018-05-07 20:21

    How do these systems cope with dirt?

  7. #7Vetech632018-05-08 06:31

    Someones dream squashed in this thread......but keep trying!

  8. #8hvy 1ton2018-05-08 11:01

    The coupler side has an automatic cover that keeps it protected when using an attachment that doesn't need hydraulics. Unhooked attachments would probably build up dust if they aren't used for a few days. These are basically Faster connectors actuated by a hydraulic cylinder.

  9. #9Bottom Gun 21502018-05-08 13:20

    Nope, not squashed. Just trying to figure out on how to approach an OEM. I'll quit when I die.