Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New, well used spare truck…..

Hallback · 2021-04-15 19:19

I bought this C500 from a friend of mine. It was 1 of 3 that came down from Alaska that Bill Paulson of McPaul cat and Crane built. Everybody knows his yellow one that he was famous for and this one was built for Mike Plaas. It has a 25000 pound steer axle, 25000 pound Bendix Skagit drop axle and has been changed over to 46K Rockwell's with 614 ratio and double lockers from the Macks that Bill put in there. 224"wb, Big Cam 400, 9 speed & 4 speed brownie. The 9 speed grenaded first trip (just my luck) so today I picked up a 20918b to swap into it. With KW backups at the factory I may not see my new one until next year!!

Replies22
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-04-15 19:37

    Ah a 9 & 4-he knew what he was doing when used that combination-screw the 10 & 4 a waste. No Cummins parts or engines available for new KW's-company has 7 ordered. Delivery date was June, that has been moved to October. Cummins is way behind on suppling new power plants to manufactures. Nice truck by the way!

  2. #2skyking12021-04-15 19:42

    Yes nice truck. Dang thing looks stout. 25K x 2 axles in front of the drives. Huge steer and drop tires. I've never had a brownie and can only imagine I'd muck it up trying to work one.

  3. #3Hallback2021-04-15 19:52

    Thanks guys. If they keep dragging nuts I will cancel the new truck & buy another from Canada or get this sent to me & build it up. https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/201833929/1994-kenworth-c500

  4. #4skyking12021-04-15 20:18

    When I get fully retired I will have to check out your fleet.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-04-15 20:27

    If your putting a 18 in it are you going to keep the 4spd aux? It probably has a 1241 twin counter shaft aux. Are you going to keep it?

  6. #6Hallback2021-04-15 20:34

    Yes, it is a 1241 & yes to keeping it. The easiest way to break schitt is gear!

  7. #7JPV2021-04-15 21:40

    Looks great, I don't think I have ever seen that one, where did it spend it's life?

  8. #8Birken Vogt2021-04-15 22:09

    How is that new shop and yard working out for you? Looks like there should be a feller buncher or something with parts all over and a big puddle of oil in one of those empty spots. Not to want anything like that to happen to you, of course.

  9. #9Hallback2021-04-15 22:23

    It spent most of its time outside Morton & then went to Redmond for 5-6 years.

  10. #10Hallback2021-04-15 22:23

    Shop is working out well. I just need a good mechanic now!

  11. #11lantraxco2021-04-18 23:07

    Don't we all! Wish I knew some, present company of course excepted!

  12. #12skyking12021-04-18 23:15

    I asked the one guy I know, but he is good where he is at. Known him for 25 years or so.

  13. #13John C.2021-04-19 10:21

    The good ones are all retiring

  14. #14Old Doug2021-04-21 22:53

    I must not be that good yet.

  15. #15Truck Shop2021-04-25 15:31

    Here's a photo of yours some years back.

  16. #16Hallback2021-04-25 17:46

    Yessir! That is when Mike Plaas had it and that was at the Kapowsin camp.

  17. #17Hallback2021-06-14 17:36

    Back on the road. About time!!

  18. #18Truck Shop2021-06-14 17:41

    You need some pure chromium or stained steel air air gulpers on that beastie. Looks good---------- pretty soon you will be known as the {King of the C500's}.

  19. #19Hallback2021-06-14 17:59

    I will be the Redd Fox of C500's.

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-06-14 18:03

    That's fine-you be Red Foxx and I will be George Carlin.

  21. #21Hallback2021-06-14 18:06

    That'd be pretty fun!

  22. #22Junkyard2021-06-14 18:25

    I like it. That’s the style of truck I started in. Old worn out leftover oilfield trash lol. I swear some of those were held together with tie wire and hope! Before they had big cranes we’d back up as many pole trucks as we could fit to lift it and back the trailer under whatever it was. After a few years of working there with pinch bars, skates, winches etc I’m fairly certain I know how the pyramids were built.....we had their surplus tools!