Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Wheels

cuttin edge ยท 2021-05-30 08:31

The powers that be are wanting to get me this. This is nothing new to me, I have been running a version of this for years. A 1988, a 1998, a 2012 and a 2014. They have made a lot of changes this time. Tier 4, hence the big hood. Actual axles, instead of 4 hydraulic motors. I question the strength of the mounting of the front a housing. Normally I would have 2 banks of controls on each side of my seat. Moldboard on my left, and bucked and ripper on my right. I'm old school on my production grader as well, and am aprihensive about joy stick controls that don't involve an excavator. Oh yes, not sure if they added the 4 wheel steering on my recomendation, when we bought the 2012, but it has it, and it would come in handy sometimes

Replies13
  1. #1cuttin edge2021-06-01 21:31

    So Calder Bros sent me a pdf on the joystick control. Push a button, and the loader works like a joystick in a loader. push a button, and the control is on the MB. Kind of like a dozer. push forward, mb goes down, pull back mb comes up. One rocker swings, one side shifts, and one tilts. What I don't like..... push joystick right, right side goes down, left side comes up, vise versa. The thing about a grader is having control of right and left sides of the mb. Naturally, when the right goes down, the left corner is going to raise because the mb is not made of rubber, so you can compensate with the left control. This is only in the operators manual, so I can't be sure if they mean that the opposite side raises hydraulicly, or just mechanically because of the downward motion of the other side. Don't suppose anyone was near one of thes at the show in vegas

  2. #2crane operator2021-06-01 21:41

    Any way they can get a demo for you before they buy? If I was dropping that kind of $$$, I'd tell the dealer to get one to me, or send you to where there's one at. I know from what I've read on the M Cat graders that the joystick thing can be very personal. Some guys love them, some guys hate them. Cat recently began offering the old style controls again, because there was evidently enough demand. The whole joystick thing is a cost savings, its cheaper to run wires than it is to run linkages. They can claim "computerized efficiency" all they want- its a cost saving measure. A linkage can be pretty easy to troubleshoot, a joystick/ computer board interface- not so much. I've got a liebherr crane that is electric joysticks, and its a dream to run. I've played around with some of the new boom trucks that are electric- and they aren't so hot. Its hard to tell until you run them- which one you are going to get.

  3. #3Welder Dave2021-06-03 01:44

    I think there is a slight delay with the M series Cat graders if I recall what the head instructor for the operating engineers union said. He did some grading for me with a brand Cat 140 with conventional controls and said it had the best feel for finish work.

  4. #4cuttin edge2021-06-03 17:31

    These things are not like a production grader. The manufacturer has none in stock, not sure how long they take to build. The Mauldin dealer can get one in 2 weeks, but once it crosses the border, he can't send it back. Before the covid, could have been a company paid road trip to the US for a test run. This is the 3rd one they will be buying from these guys, just a few changes. They do preform better than what they were made for, so quality is not an issue,

  5. #5Welder Dave2021-06-03 19:28

    Another case where covid really puts a wrench in things.

  6. #6crane operator2021-06-03 20:56

    How about finding one in Canada that has the joystick? One sold in the last year or two? I hate buying equipment I haven't run, unless its just like one I already own, so I know what I'm getting.

  7. #7Welder Dave2021-06-03 22:57

    For that kind of money too. Curious how warranty support and parts back up is? I wouldn't think there's such a thing as an experienced (field) mechanic on them especially in Canada. Pretty cool machine though.

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-06-04 00:00

    Looking at the pics. you would think they'd put a much nicer seat in it.

  9. #9crane operator2021-06-04 07:40

    According to Machinery Trader, there's a new one in Quebec. Insta Mix in Montreal. So do you speak Frog well enough to head over there? My daughter took 4 years of French in high school, so I'm all ears on more French jokes. Why do french tanks have rearview mirrors? to see the battle Did you see the French army rifle for sale? Never been fired, but been dropped twice. What are french army tanks transmissions like? 5 reverse gears and 1 forward for parades. Did you hear about the french army training going wrong? One guy dropped his handkerchief and they surrendered to each other. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...ipment/for-sale/196300809/2021-mauldin-m415xt

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-06-04 11:30

    Would be worth the trip if it's possible to try one out. Yeah, Quebec is kind of a slang French. Brother knew a girl in school who came from France but the teacher knew Quebec french and tried to force the girl to change. Then there's newfies who often can't understand what each other are saying. Common joke back in the day was: How come so many newfies have broken teeth? They were trying to get the chocolate out of the loonies. (Dollar coins)

  11. #11cuttin edge2021-06-04 20:30

    The way they are built, it's easy to repair them. Never had issues getting anything from the dealer, if not, besides structural, most stuff is easily sourced. Never really had to replace anything but a wiper motor, and a temp gauge. The engine in the other 2 we have are Deutz, this one has the cummins to be tier 4 compliant. Even for me to go to Quebec, I have to isolate for 14 days when I get back. Maybe the one in Quebec is the one he thinks he can get in 2 weeks. I think I might have talked them out of it anyway. The 2012 only has 5100 hours on it, and the 2014 I run has 3700. If they want one that bad, just order what we want, and get it for next season. The 2012 was 120,000, and I think the 2021 is a hundred grand more.

  12. #12cuttin edge2021-06-04 20:38

    The one I have now has the same seat, you can't touch the steel on either side of the seat when she is workin hard. My machine was down all week waiting for a valve cover gasket from Germany. I had to run the 98 Alitec. I ran it for a lot of years, but couldn't get over how gutless it was compared to the Mauldin.

  13. #13cuttin edge2021-12-21 16:20

    Went in for a few hours to float some equipment around, and the big guy tells me they ordered a new Mauldin. They are hoping to have it here in April. They plan to have the Equipment show in Moncton NB, and the dealer is putting the push on so he can put it in the show.