Howdy folks , I've been tryin to get my 2008 6042 working and this forum seems like the best place for some help . So the SkyTraks , ST for shorthand, transmission will not engage . This is not the first time this has happened. About two years ago it started this and at that time I did a bunch of wire tracing and some research . I changed the cone washer with the dimples in the transmission as per a old tread on this site ,I checked voltage on the transmission solenoids , drained and replaced transmission fluid and new filter and cleaned every ground on the machine and checked continuity on every wire associated with the parking brake and the gear selector and the neuter start switch , basically every wire in the dash . There isn't any option's on this machine , no lights, heater or anything . Finely out of desperation , I replaced the parking brake switch and lo and behold it worked ! Now two years later its doing the same thing so I replaced the switch again and nothing happened . I still believe that this is a eclectic problem but I am not a mechanic , I'm a carpenter . There has not been many hours put on the ST in the last two years because I've been doin finish work but I am back to framing and I need my ST ! There is probably less then 100 hours on the machine since all the previous repairs . So far I have only checked the main wire plug on the transmission and that was good , and all the dash wiring . Thanks . Levi
Did you check the fuses behind the panel under the joysticks? And did you check the proximity switch in the boom? If I remember theres some relays there too but don't remember what was what off the top of my head. A serial number may help with troubleshooting as well
Hey tractormech , thanks for responding. I have checked all the fuses and I swapped the relays around . I'll post up the serial number tomorrow. I have not checked the proximity sensor. It's my limited understanding that the stabilitrak system ( that I hate) only limits the speed that the hydraulics responds. If it can affect the transmission then that's a good spot to start looking. Thanks
Hmmm . Experiencing technical difficulties. I'm not sure what happened to the rest of my reply.
I'd have to look at a schematic to verify wiring but on a lot of machines the proximity switch will, if the boom is raised over 40 degrees, lock out all but low gear. Some will lock the transmisdion completely out. Some have 2 proximity switches. There's different setups Also need to verify if power is getting to the shifter before you go any farther.
Serial number is 0160007581 . And it's a 2005 .
Confirmed power to the gear selector . Stabi-trak lock light comes on when the boom is above 40 degrees and goes off when it's lowered , so it seems like the proximity switch is working . The service brake switch is a little corroded so I'll order one but don't think that's the problem . Is seems to me that the parking brake / de-clutch is not releasing .
Its a pain but try to gain access to the back of the fuse/relay panel and spray some circuit cleaner and better use de-oxidation spray in doing so checking all pins at wire connections.
I'm not familiar with that machine, but 2008, I seriously doubt that machine has a high tech computer canbus control system, rather, hard wires and volts control things. Get your wiring diagram and start chasing the gremlin. Those fwd/rev controllers can cause problems. The rubber shifter lever boot cracks from age, lets water get inside and it goes south from there. Verify you have power to the shift lever, then verify you have output. From there, follow your schematic downstream and find where you're losing it. That's really the only way to troubleshoot problems like this.
Theres two power supplies feeding the shifter.. One comes from the park brake disconnect relay and one from the park brake switch.. Verify you have two feeds going to the shifter. You neen to download JLG publication 8990466. There's schematics and troubleshooting available to you. You need to know what wire is what or you're lost.
Thank you gentlemen , I had a busy day with family visiting and did not get much time with the machine . Probably won't be able to until Monday . Tractormech , Thank you ! That's the manual I have been looking for . I had some of the pages printed out from a buddy but I'm going cross-eyed trying to read the low grade printing . The regular service manual does have a couple of schematics that I've been using but its pretty hard to read too.