Hi, I'm not only a newbie to this site but also to hoeing owner/operator. My only experience hoeing is a Kubota 28?? almost 30yrs ago. I just purchased a '68 Clark B700 backhoe and am looking forward to attacking the projects around my property. The machine is operating but could use some update/repair work, no leaks but the lines are old so I figure only a matter of time. My first order of business is 4 tires and 2 front rims. I could use some help in direction to where I could find some fair used ones and sizes in the Ct. area. I look forward to picking your brains and working with and on this machine. I'll post pics next week as soon as I get this machine home, hopefully this weekend some time. Thx.
Welcome!!!!! I for one don't have much of a brain to pick . But lots of knowledge in here and you get tons of help from the members
Thx 770. It runs great, my intro/practice run was to rip out a giant stump out back. I went to post a few pics but for some reason there is a notice at the bottom of this page that said I'm not allowed, don't know if it's something I can change or it has to be done by an administator.:beatsme
Looks like it may be because I'm a probie. I saw something in the help sectiona bout three posts.
Let's
see
if .
this
works.
Boy that 120 sec delay between posts was painful.
It worked The first things on my agenda is front rims, the strbrd side is cracked and the previous owner welded a plate on the back to repair it, and front tires. does anybody know the sizes and where to find some used ones? I don't trust that what's on there is the right size. Also the seat is a real PIA, both literally and not. It is some kind of eliptical thing rotating on two different centers and non of the locks work, makes operating a real adventure floating around the cab especially on a slope. Anybody know of a place to get a used one or parts to fix this one? Thx.
Tyres look ok
Great pics!!!! Ya that seat looks a bit tuff
The tires are two differrent types, i'd like to match 'em up and replace the welded rim. Even with my hunting seat on there it still stabs ya in the arse, but the floating around the cabin while running is the bigger problem. There's a new/used equipment place near my work that a friend told me about, if i can't find anything there than I'll probably build something out of marine seating and hardware, something I'm a little bit more familiar with.
I'll give you my two cents, (there probably not really worth two cents...) I would focus on the seat issue, perhaps you can modify what you have and get a marine seat placed in there, the post will mount to the frame under the floor, probably best to pull that up and see what you have under there. Maybe you could use that (sprocket?) and weld up some flanges so you can pin the seat to face either forward or reverse. Finding a replacement may be hard. You could call over to East Hartford Equipment 101 Brookside Lane East Hartford, Connecticut 06108 ph: 860-289-9371 they may be able to do a nationwide part search for you. Personally, I would spend the $ on replacing hoses over tires....just me...once a hose goes, your done until it is replaced, now you have a mess and you have to replace hydraulic fluid at about $8 per gallon.... Hope it all works out for you, looks like a neat compact machine.
E. Hartford Equipment is exactly where I was heading. I'm taking the seat assembly off this weekend to get a better look see as to what I have to work with, I've already priced a marine pedestal and swivel/slide plate and seat for around $250, just have to chk and see if +/- 5" slide is enough. There's a small coolant leak that I'm addressing this weekend also, simple fix hose fitting gasket. Than it will be on to the hoses. Is there a "back hoe yellow" paint that i can get in a spray can or is it just match up Krylon to come close? I'll take any and all cents. Thx.
hey keith s welcome .quite the machine you have . it might not be pretty but it doesent have the pretty payments good luck trevor b
Thx Trevor. Your right about the payments, wife wouldn't hear of it, I ran into enough head wind for cash out the door. Right now I'm just looking to fix up the little things and practice running her than, within a month or so, tackle the main reason why I bought her and that's to put in a 250' x 4' curtain drain across my property. After that I'll hang on to her for a while and try to lip stick her up a bit.:thumbsup
wive's are like that just the nature of the beast .no sense of ha ha. i had my hoe 3 months befor she knew but as i say far eseayer to seek forgivness than ask permission trevor b
Can anybody suggest what weight motor oil to use in this rig, detroit diesel 3-53. I was told either straight 30 or 40 weight. I use Rotella 15w40 in one of my boats and was wondering if that would work? Thx.
You were told the correct oil Keith, straight 40 - Do not use multigrade, they don't like it & could blow (slobber) it out the exhaust.
Ok alrman, 40 it is. Thx.
I'm looking for a manual for this machine and my search comes back with at least 4 different releases. What would be a good source for a manual? Thx.
Hi Keith, I too own a B700 backhoe that I purchased a few months ago and need some manuals for service and operational. Found a few parts manuals, but they only show an exploded view of the parts and not how to fix things. My hoe is pretty much like yours, without the enclosed cage. Mine has a wire mesh cage. Would like to exchange some info with you on these machines if we can. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks. Alan
There is a YAHOO Group for Clarkloader(s) it is not a real active group but there is a ton of manuals and information these machines. I bought one in January 2014 and currently working on the brakes and other issues. My seat works well although some of the springs require replacement, it really does a dance moving from backhoe position to the driving position. My hoe does not have a cab or ROPS.. I also found out it is VERY light in the rear end if the hoe is not attached... makes for a wild ride down a grade...tire dragging all the way.
I went to Northern tool and bought a wonderful seat for $100. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_8268_8268
Tow motor seats work great if you can rig a heavy duty marine pedestal for it, something like you see on a on a pontoon boat.
Thanks for the heads up on that seat. I need to replace mine on my Case 580C.