Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie Dozer Owner Questions

cr506 ยท 2016-10-27 10:05

I recently purchased a deere 450g, mid 1990's machine, with a 10' blade. When it was delivered to me the blade was off the machine due to transport width. I have all the pins and new bushings to mount the blade. Any advice on how to mount the blade & line up the bushings where they don't fall out or block the pin holes, etc when mounting? It is a 6-way blade. Do I put the center pin in first then the socket cap at the bottom or what order should I tackle this job? Also, the throttle seems to be loose and if you do not physically hold the lever it will slide to wide open throttle. Any suggestions on a remedy for this? Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1fast_st2016-10-27 10:14

    throttle lever should have a friction adjustment on the side if its like the smaller cousin. Mounting the blade, do you have a backhoe / loader / crane handy? If not a tow truck can be useful for steadying the blade. It sounds like the center should be first as the others can move hydraulically.

  2. #2cr5062016-10-27 10:27

    I have a 25hp Kubota tractor that may or may not have enough power to hold the blade up. I've also got a 1 ton chain hoist hanging from a massive live oak. Those are really my only two options... I have tried it once before using a backhoe but the hoe had leaky cylinders and couldn't hold steady enough & the bushings would always either pop out or slide in the way of the pins. I think once I get the center pin in the rest should be relatively easier since I can crack the lines and manipulate the cylinders like you mentioned I will check the throttle for what you have suggested

  3. #3redneckracin2016-10-27 12:47

    put the blade up against the tree, use the come-a-long to keep the blade from falling over and drive right into it, once its on the pivot, you should be able to move things around to hook anything else up.

  4. #4Former Wrench2016-10-27 13:00

    Do as Redneckracin says and remember slow, level, and straight. If you are lined up, it should slip on easy. If you start having trouble, something is not lined up. Stop and figure out where the angle of the dangle is not in line. A second set of eyes would be very helpful.

  5. #5cr5062016-10-27 15:04

    any tricks to keeping the bushings lined up and in place for the pins?

  6. #6Former Wrench2016-10-27 15:57

    Slow and easy, big pry bars and wooden blocks, thin layer of grease. Don't use the sledge hammer or the bushing will be damaged. When things are lined up, the pin will almost drop in place.

  7. #7Willie B2016-10-27 16:37

    Hydraulic bottle jacks. Most Chinese ones don't work. Working alone they are a Godsend. If you haven't already, you will accumulate a pile of pressure treated cut offs. A bunch of steel pieces can also come in handy. Level land is also a critical essential. Willie

  8. #8Tarhe Driver2016-10-27 18:48

    Pneumatic hydraulic bottle jacks, and let the air compressor do much of the work?

  9. #9br14742016-10-27 20:50

    Unhook the hydraulic lines and move the cylinders by hand. Or shut the engine off and move the lever the cylinders will move. The control valve in that dozer does not have load checks.

  10. #10g_man2016-10-29 08:33

    You probably have got it by now but just thinking out loud, and I don't have a Cat, if it is like my Dresser I could remove the grease zerks and use a screw in the zerk holes to hold the bushings in - I think. gg

  11. #11Buckethead2016-10-29 09:33

    When you're attaching the blade, whatever you do, keep your fingers out of any of the pin holes. If you need to clean them out or put grease in them, whatever, use a stick or something.

  12. #12cr5062016-10-29 19:45

    I'm going to try to tackle this tomorrow. It's just me & I've got it hanging just off the ground against a tree. If I can get the center cylinder and the 2 bushings in & pinned I think the rest will be that much easier.

  13. #13cr5062016-11-14 13:43

    Got a buddy to help me attach the blade. Much easier than anticipated. On & working within 30 minutes. Shop wanted 5 hours labor @ $75/hr to install. Glad I told them nevermind. Hung the blade up from a tree & drove up to it, installed the center pin, bolted up the bottom cap, pulled the left cylinder in & got a long bar & pushed the right one in & adjusted to get the two side pins in. Pretty easy. We were very relieved at how smooth it was. Now I need to fabricate some sweeps & possibly some screens.

  14. #14redneckracin2016-11-14 15:25

    congratulations, but we need pictures! :drinkup