Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie from MASS

MJHeavy ยท 2014-10-01 11:59

Hey guys. New member here, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike from Central MASS. Im a technician and 99% of the time I work on CAT equipment such as 988H's, 980H's, D8T's, etc. I have all the CAT software needed for the late model CAT equipment if anyone needs help. If a truck needs more power and can support the uprate I will do my best to help someone out. Hope I can contribute to the site.

Replies10
  1. #1kshansen2014-10-01 18:51

    MJHeavy, Welcome to the forum! I work on 988H, 769 C&D 773 G 980G, 980K in Central NY. Do you or did you work for Milton? Speaking of 988H, did you know the sensor for trans. oil temp. will fail and show as a plugged oil filter? Would have saved me lots of time if the manual mentioned that! And do all 988H tilt cylinders weep at the rod seals, even a week after dealer resealed them?

  2. #2MJHeavy2014-10-01 19:47

    kshansen, I just work for a independent repair shop. As for the 988H, I have found on alot of CAT machines that any PWM sensor that shares its power supply and ground with any other sensor can show a faulty sensor if another sensor within the circuit goes bad. As for the cylinder, I would never let a cylinder leave my shop with any type of leak. You would also be surprised how often a rod will be bent and causing a leak. When I disassemble a cylinder on our repair bench its the first thing I look for.

  3. #3kshansen2014-10-02 09:37

    Over the last few years this one has been resealed a couple times and this last one was an exchange cylinder with a Cat Rem rod in it. Does not leak real bad but is damp around the rod and a damp spot on the top of boom. We have a 980G II that had steering cylinders that leaked about the same. Milton resealed them a couple times at least under warrenty and I did them once myself. Rods looked near perfect. Then when they started seeping in less than a year I talked the boss into getting a pair of Reman rods as this time there was some minor scoring. The Reman rods actually looked like they may have been new. Anyhow that was back in 2007 and last week when I was working on the engine water leak noticed they were still dry!

  4. #4MJHeavy2014-10-02 16:59

    CAT Reman products have had great quality control for us.

  5. #5CM19952014-10-02 20:31

    Welcome to the Forums MJHeavy!:drinkup

  6. #6MJHeavy2014-10-03 08:03

    Thanks man.

  7. #7lantraxco2014-10-03 11:43

    CAT seeds their reman system, if they don't have remans available, or they don't get reusable cores, you get new at a reman price. Good deal. By the way, if you've never done the math, reman price plus core charge = price of new part, give or take.

  8. #8MJHeavy2014-10-03 15:36

    I don't mind when a new part shows up with a reman part number on it. You can also tell how much CAT needs your core back when the core credit is more than the part.

  9. #9lantraxco2014-10-03 15:40

    It's simply related to value. If you for instance purchase a reman crankshaft, you are paying for the machine work, packing, and a premium for having it available off the shelf or shipped that day. For something like an alternator or starter, you can always get one rebuilt locally for a little less money, but the reman is usually in stock and has a CAT warranty.

  10. #10MJHeavy2014-10-06 07:16

    I prefer to use CAT Reman when I know the machine is going across the country to a customer because I know the warranty will follow it. I doubt the local rebuilder will stand behind his work in a situation like that. But sometimes the local guys can help out in a pinch too.