Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie here, I have arrived. 580B 1973 model

deltl1ks · 2012-01-26 17:00

As mentioned on my earlier posts I bought a 580B yesterday for $4800.00 everything works good from what I can tell but she has some leaks. I'm going to try to get a local friend of mine whom is more mechanical than I to come by and look it over. I bought this backhoe because the price was right for me and everything appears to be good. I knew it had some leaks when I got it but it seams there is a lot of fuild here and there just in the four hours I've been operating it. This cause me some concern and I need to address those. I may not know much about equipment but I know it should not have this much fuild running about. I will take some picture of the b and post on here so someone can help me identify what to look for and where. I'm a novice on this stuff. I'm 43 and just learning about my new toy (for better or worse) purchase of my first Loader/backhoe. Any advice suggestions etc. I will have to research the vin number etc. I have loads of questions. I will take some pictures soon and start posting up.

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2012-01-26 17:42

    Welcome deltl1ks!:drinkup We haven't had any 580B talk around here for a while ...... can't say I've missed it Fire your questions when ready.

  2. #2tregurtha2012-01-27 16:46

    yes welcome ,just drove my 580f 15 miles to site done a days work and home again $370 for a days work not bad for a 82 machine

  3. #3deltl1ks2012-01-27 22:08

    Thanks for the welcome. I think i identified one leak from perhaps a broken inlet port on the loader frame rail, right side near the long pipe that runs from the lower right side middle of tractor up to the front of the tractor. It’s he same pipe that runs in front of the radiator. Anyway I believe the long pipe run that inlet nipple enough that it broke and some fluid is leaking there. The inlet port is broken off so it will have to be drilled and then perhaps an easy out would work. Not sure where the leaks are on the backhoe portion yet. I will investigate the tractor more this weekend.

  4. #4deltl1ks2012-01-29 19:44

    Alright Questions here we go. 1. For some reason after about one - 2 hours of work, the light on the left lights up which states "Trans Hot" This is light use. I check the fluid of trans prior to starting use and it's fine. I'm not sure why this is lighting up. Previous owner stated to switch the wires around for the sensor as he may have mixed them up when he repaired the unit. 2. one my leaks hydraulic is the steel line on the right side of the tractor, I tried JB stick weld and then covered it with a hose but it still leaks a bit but not nearly as bad. I'm thinking the best solution for this issue is to pull the steel line off and have it welded. 3. I have a leak on the backhoe at the controls. It's the second control while siting on the tractor, when the ride pumps up and down in the cylinder, fluids rushes out. How do you repair this. I will take pictures soon. Anyone have a tear down of the assembly control knobs for the backhoe? Thanks,

  5. #5alrman2012-01-29 21:29

    1) Do you think it is actually hot? Is drive affected? It is a simple circuit, with a temp switch that completes circuit to earth. If the wiring is worn through somewhere, & wires are contacting metal - it will turn on the light. If it is actually getting hot, this needs to be addressed. There are 2 x dipsticks for oil - transaxle rhs under seat - shuttle rhs under pedals - hope you checked the wrong one & oil is low! IS oil cooler in place? May have been disconnected? 2) Correct - remove & weld or replace with steel or rubber 3) Assuming you are speaking of spool bank here, is it leaking where the chrome spool slides up & down? The sooner you get to post pics, the easier it will be to assist.

  6. #6alrman2012-01-29 23:40

    deltl1ks, I only just saw that this is in intrductions. Might be a good idea to ask questions in the backhoe section, start a new thread - it's better for future reference

  7. #7deltl1ks2012-01-30 15:18

    Okay thanks,