Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

[newbie] I’m trying to disassemble a pin joint but i can’t figure it out

Ronchiporc ยท 2026-07-24 06:24

I'm trying to disassemble this joint, on a mini excavator (Leite LT1010). On side, the "ear" side, looks like this: Here I've already removed the screw on the off-center threaded hole. The other side, the "hex" side, looks like this: Here i've tried to rotate the hex which make the whole thing rotate, which is why the "ear" is now popping out. My assumption is this: But hammering the center on the hex side to try pop out the pin, but it did nothing. I also couldnt rotate the "hex" independently from the ear even though it looks as if they're 2 different pieces. I don't know if i just have to try harder, or if my assumption about how these pieces are assembled is completely wrong. I can't figure it out, i couldnt find a similar looking piece online, and i am a total newbie. Any help would be most welcome! ( This pin holds the cylinder of an auxiliary hydrolic thumb i'm trying to dismount and it's the last thing remaining. )

Replies6
  1. #1AMBMike2026-07-24 06:29

    Try loosening the hex nut before removing the keeper bolt through the ear.

  2. #2Ronchiporc2026-07-24 06:37

    Hi! Thank you for replying! I'm sorry but as a complete newbie and non-native speaker, i have a hard time understanding. Do you mean that my "green assumption" is correct , and that i have to just try to loosen the hex piece from from the pin while the pin is locked in position by the keeper bolt ?

  3. #3Deere500a2026-07-24 08:01

    Yes, reinstall the bolt & try loosing the nut.good luck

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-07-24 09:20

    Yes, your assumption is correct. You either need to get the hole on the ear back in place. To put the keeper bolt back in enough, to get the Nylock nut off, or just put a bar through the keeper hole, where it is, so that when you loosen the Nylock, the rotational force will bind it and the bar will stop the whole pin from rotating, allowing the Nylock to break free. A impact gun would be desired.

  5. #5Welder Dave2026-07-24 19:57

    Yeah, need to leave the bolt in and remove the big nut first but I'm guessing this is a low cost low tech. Chinese excavator. There is no reason to have 2 ways to keep the pin in. Either the lock nut or the bolt on the flange, not both. Large machines usually have the bolt on the flange of the pin.

  6. #6Tinkerer2026-07-24 22:14

    The first thing to do is release all the hydraulic pressure that may be in the cylinder. Ifn you don't that pin will not come out easily. The nut on the pin is overkill and unnecessary. But it does add safety in case for some reason the bolt in the flange should shear off or simply get loose and fall off. IMHO.