I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on this forum but I can't find it. I went to get my 580 today and finally give up loading the thing and backed the trailer off in a ditch to load. I have a 20 plus 4 dual tandem pintle hitch. Whats the trick? I put the rear bucket on the ground to try to keep the front end down but then it pulled left or right. I unloaded by taking the rear bucket and pulling myself off slowly. Im sure there is a better way. Thanks again for helping.
Try wood blocking under the rear of the trailer frame . If you don't have ramps for the trailer use more blocking to eliminate the drop-off on the rear of the trailer.
First off i have a 580K and about the same trailer 20,000# Hurst with dove tail. A backhoe is a wild ride. In the real world if you arn't scared you are not operating at full potential. With that said. I had the same trouble with mine. I ended up buying the lesser front weight (they offer two weights) and fluid loading the front tires on mine. It did not cure the problem; but i can live with it now. You have steering brakes eas up - use the steering brakes and boom as nessassery to get it up on the deck. slow and steady. Wait till you get it out on uneven ground. that is a real pucker fest. Hope this helps you out some.
Does swinging the backhoe tight to the machine help at all? I used to do that with my 410 to help matters.
Some trailer mfg. make a 5' dove instead of a 4'. The reduced angle of attack couldn't hurt a bit. I know on my 5' dove, my 420D rides a little wheellie, but like amunder says I steer with my brakes and its no big deal- on level ground anyway. But I still back my skid steer up unless I have a real heavy attachment on it.
moducks, Sorry for my previous dumb reply. I thought you were having problems with your trailer front end rising up. I have seen that happen. My Case 680 has a factory installed counter weight welded on the front bucket so I have never had the front end rise up when loading.If all else fails try taking your time and drive the machine onto the trailer until it is close to rising up. Stop going forward,leave the tractor in gear and using either the brakes or the backhoe's hand throttle to hold the tractor where it is at. Now put the backhoe bucket down onto the ground or pavement,then proceed onto the trailer while at the same time use the backhoe to assist you onto the trailer. Go far enough onto the trailer so you can raise the backhoe without putting too much stress on the trailer hitch. To unload the machine raise the backhoe just enough to get it clear of the trailer and slide it if you have to until you get it far enough away from the trailer to drive it off . Basically it the same as loading except in the reverse order. It is no different than using the backhoe to assist you when you have the machine stuck. Take your time,don't get excited and try to load too fast.
This is where the pucker factor comes in a little. Line it up, take deep breath, stand on the diff lock, give 'er, release deep breath. Keeping the rear wheels locked together is the secret.
I've had very little experience loading backhoes, but I had what I think is a similar experience loading a 580B. There I was halfway up the ramp and the front wheels a few inches off the deck. Slow and easy did not work on this ramp, it was very long and steep, so I turned the machine around and backed it on. I'm not sure if I had to give the front bucket a little flip to help it on or not. I had the float driver there for an extra pair of eyes too. It must have been exciting years ago with all those direct drive machines out there. Shove the clutch in and hit the brake on a ramp, or brakes if they worked on both wheels . I can remember my old 580CK was light on the front, if I took the bucket off, I could hardly steer it on level ground. Phil
My dad has a 580 case , he is very specific that this machine is loaded on backwards & has,nt had any problems with loading that way. Hope you get worked out , Shane.
I found that using a small hill to load on/off of or going backwards was the trick for an older trailer with a steep ramp. Using the steering brakes can get real dicey real fast. While unloading my 580 the other day the left brake stuck while coming down the ramp. The machine skidded sideways just enough for the right front wheel to go off the trailer. Needless to say they don't stand up on 3 wheels and over it went pinning the trailer underneath. Righted it with my other machine in 15 minutes. Nothing really hurt except my ego.
I'm confused at his original question, why is driving it up the trailer such a problem?
Some backhoes are very light on the front end, especially the old Case 2-wheel drive models. The front wheels simply lift off the ramp, or deck, so you cannot steer, or worse keep on going up. When going up a steep grade such as a float ramp, the center of gravity moves to the rear, compounding the problem. I think that's the technical term here, I've been out of school a long time. Float drivers get into some nervy situations, I've always admired the guys that do it full time. Phil
I've been through that and it's no fun. Just go slow.
Have not heard back from you Moducks. Making any progress with the loading thing?
I took a 55 gallon drum yesterday and filled it with concrete. Put two rebar hooks it I thought I would try loading with it in the bucket. I'm still letting the concrete set up so we will see. I figured it would be eash to just set by the trailer after unloading and scoop it back up before loading. I guess we'll see.
or you could put water in your front tires!