Hello All, I am a true newbie to this world of backhoes. This week a new to me 1986 JCB 1400B will be delivered to my place. It will be used at the house, addition, new garage, additional septic, some trenching and maybe eventually a small pond. I would like any suggestions/tips that you guys could offer. I am assuming that JCB owners will have some ideas for me, since I also assume JCB may have some items that may differ to other makes. I would like to prepare myself somewhat. Meaning, gather some required tools, manuals, fluids, etc... I have a pretty good selection for automotive tools (1 1/2" and down), household plumbing tools, household/marine electrical tools, and all the sheet metal workers hand tools (this is my trade). so, what size wrenches would be good to have on hand, standard or metric, or both? any specialty tools needed off the bat? First order of business for me is fluid and filter changes and I will wait to get new filters until I have unit home to cross reference what is on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Metric wrenches, and remember JCB uses British pipe thread for their hoses.
I will remember that on the pipe threads. As for wrenched, should i just get a set of "jumbos", like 19 mm to 50mm or would it be wise to just wait and see how many of the bigger sizes are needed? I hate buying the off brand "cheap sets", always seems to bite me in the rear, unless at these sizes the cheaper ones will work out. Maybe better to spend the money on a premium adjustable? like say a craftsman 15".
You will son find that an adjustable will be severely limited in the places you will find to use it. As a homeowners machine that does not have to make you a living by running every day I would not be to concerned about tooling up and get what you need when you need it. God luck with your new toy.
Pretty much beyond one inch Standard wrenches and sockets fit on metrics. Save your money for the machine.
Thanks for the tips. I think I will hold off and hope that I never need any bigger wrenches. Wishful thinking. If anyone has any more tips, keep them coming.