Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie needs help identifying hydraulic motor shaft components

Gregsvdub ยท 2019-07-06 21:12

I have an old Bobcat 9xx series skid steer (not sure which one due to many modifications done by PO's) that goes strong in reverse on one side and crawls forward on both sides. Before I swap the hydraulic motors I want to learn what these components are. I thought they were part of a clutch or brake assembly but they aren't. Anyone know what they are - couplers maybe? One has round holes that receives bolt-like pins from the other. The bolt-like pins have material bushings around each pin. Here are some pics. They are on the shaft between the VIckers motor and the sprocket that drives the chain to the wheels. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies7
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-07-07 01:58

    I'm guessing it's a spherical coupler. You have 2 shafts , face to face. A split coupler with tapers on either side. Then 2 outer collars with reverse taper bolt together sandwiching the split coupler in the center. The tighter the halves are bolted together. the tighter the split coupler bites onto the shafts. Very common on conveyor drives and large high horse hydraulic motors.

  2. #2Nige2019-07-07 04:57

    +1 with my learned friend above. If you are having difficulty visualizing how it works Google "Taper Lock Coupling" - it should give you the idea.

  3. #3Gregsvdub2019-07-07 11:17

    Thanks, that looks like what it is. Is there supposed to be something in between them to help lock them together? Mine is just the one with pins and the one with holes. The pins with bushings fit loosely into the holes. Just wondering if this contributes to the reason it sort of pops and stops when pushing the stick forward on the right side. When this happens these disks seem to rotate backwards a bit as if on a spring then come to a stop. It has lots of power going backwards so not sure if these have anything to do with the forward issue.

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-07-07 11:41

    Ok, if they are independent of one another and not bolted together it is NOT what I had suggested. Instead, I believe the pins are capturing a Lovejoy coupler. At this point, the only way to know is taking it apart.

  5. #5Nige2019-07-07 12:25

    A Taper-Lock coupling is usually installed on a uni-directional drive (e.g. a conveyor). Its purpose is that the fact that the two parts of the coupling are not locked together in any way will permit a limited amount of misalignment between the two shafts without the whole assembly wanting to tear itself apart. The two metal "halves" of the coupling cannot be locked together because to do that would negate the idea of the coupling compensating for shaft misalignment. I don't think I have ever seen one like you have installed in a bi-directional drive before. The ones I'm familiar with for uni-directional drives had 2 flanges each with a set of pins on them, then either a separate single flexible element in between the two steel halves (which you obviously don't have) or a number of small flexible elements (one over the top of each pin) to cushion shock loads in the drive and to cater for a limited amount of misalignment. The Lovejoy coupling fwf mentions above is more the type that would be installed on a bi-directional drive. If what you've got on your machine is someone's invention then I'm not sure even if you replace all the internal cushioning elements that you're ever going to get it to work smoothly without cracks and bangs, because as I said before this type of coupling is generally installed on drives that only rotate one way, not both.

  6. #6funwithfuel2019-07-07 12:53

    It almost sounds like a beefed up version of a super10 synchro

  7. #7kshansen2019-07-07 13:17

    Might be worth some time on a Bobcat site to try to determine what the actual machine is. Here is a link to a page you can see many different version of the loaders and maybe find one that agrees with yours: https://www.bobcatpartsonline.com Click on the tab for "Product Type" then click on the line for "Select Family" and then "Loaders" .