Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie needs help; to buy or not to buy!!

overhaulin ยท 2016-05-04 17:23

I am looking at purchasing my first backhoe for just around the property work. I found a 1989 Ford 655D what appears to be in really good condition but I have some concerns. I have a friend who runs and works on heavy equipment that has offered to take a look at this equipment before I make a purchasing decision. The seller is holding firm on $10K and the machine has 8500 hours on it. My first concern is parts availability. I read a recent post that said they they don't make parts for these tractors anymore and that would probably be a deal breaker for me. Is this truth to this finding? Should I hold off for a Deere or Case or is this a fair price for a hoe like this? We are going to check out the mechanics tomorrow and see how this machine works, but I could certainly use some expert advice before I spend $10K. Thank you in advance for any help!

Replies17
  1. #1Delmer2016-05-04 21:17

    10k is reasonable for really good condition. But go by your friends opinion of the condition, not a picture or some random internet expert. Unless you know something specific about what parts are or aren't available, I wouldn't worry about a Ford vs Case or Deere for parts.

  2. #2hanerykroze922016-05-05 05:22

    I totally agree with Delmer. discuss this with your colleagues, and then buy....

  3. #3fast_st2016-05-05 09:22

    Inspection first, then negotiation, sure 10k is good if its in top shape running and operating. Know how much each bushing and pin will cost to replace. How much each kind of hydraulic hose costs to replace. How much a cyl costs to repack and renew and if one's leaking, others may be close behind. Its fair to a firm seller to say, your price is fair for a good machine, if you fix those hoses and packings and that pin/bushing we'll have a deal, else i'm willing to offer you $xxx as it sits. Sometimes, honestly, a firm seller doesn't realize there are issues. Also, make sure that low hour meter is working, my dozer had a busted wire so who really knows how many hours are on it, the meter shows 8500 hours, I bet since 1966 its a lot more.

  4. #4overhaulin2016-05-05 13:49

    Great info...thanks guys!!!

  5. #5DualsportWA2016-05-07 11:55

    Is it a 4x4 model?

  6. #6Willie B2016-05-07 21:19

    You didn't say 2 or 4 wheel drive. The 655D is a big tractor with a small engine, long turn radius etc. An extend a hoe is less important as it's big anyway. Friends have had one since nearly new. They swear by it. I have used it a dozen loads to load a truck. I find no fault with the machine. It is welded steel where my case is cast, or forged. It is long, and big. If you have room that is no problem. They must plan to keep it, as they bought four new tires. I've heard no mention of a parts problem. Hours are less important than maintenance. Willie

  7. #7overhaulin2016-05-09 09:56

    New hot rod Well my heavy equipment friend gave it a once over and said everything was tight and seemed work quite despite the 8500 hours. I ended up negotiating a little off the price for $9500.00 and despite needing a few hyd. lines and ev3entually some front tires I think it was a fair deal based on some of the other machines we looked at. 2WD but should be fine for just working around the property. Thanks again for all the help guys!

  8. #8fast_st2016-05-09 10:07

    A useful utility machine, keep it greased and change all of the lube when you get around to it. It doesn't hold too much. If you're going to use it in winter, rear chains are a must, 2wd backhoes like to get stuck on slippery spots. Depends if you're north or south,

  9. #9overhaulin2016-05-09 21:24

    Thanks Fast_st, We plan on changing all the lines that need replaced and then we'll be getting after the fluids and grease fittings before we doing anything. Thanks again guys!

  10. #10msllc2016-05-09 22:58

    I'm blown away that the hoe still has the battery box cover on it. Those things get lost all of the time. Looks good!!

  11. #11msllc2016-05-09 23:00

    It is also hard to find a CLEAN machine that has an enclosed cab for $10k. I think you might have scored a lot better than you think you did.

  12. #12overhaulin2016-05-10 05:46

    This site is a huge help especially for a newbie or just anyone with HE questions... priceless! Thanks guys!! Well send some updates as we work through bringing this old dog up to speed.

  13. #13caterpillarmech2016-05-10 06:35

    That is a pretty good looking machine. Looks like it will be a good tool for you for a long time.

  14. #14Willie B2016-05-10 07:06

    I don't know about Ohio hills. In VT I once reasoned that a tractor this heavy won't need chains. What I didn't factor is the propensity for 8 tons of iron to go down hill. I was educated in a relatively harmless way when in a flash I was in the middle of the lawn instead of the driveway. In winter chains are essential. In summer they turn a backhoe into a loader. If you can tolerate the tilling of surface, they are a great value in summer. Willie

  15. #15fast_st2016-05-10 08:00

    Willie B, That there is a funny story I can relate to, bucket of snow and aimed downhill, 580 toboggan ride! I generally only use the chains in the winter cause they make the machine shake too much in the summer. Have the double linked V-bar chain that works great with the R4 tires. Springtime gets the tips of the V bars touched up with hard face.

  16. #16Willie B2016-05-10 09:31

    I drive three miles from home to "the land". Taking chains off to travel is essential. Only laziness ever causes me to leave them off. It's old overgrown farm land, It was cleared at 20 to 30 year intervals. The now rotted away stumps in the upper meadow have left holes. The chains help to break up sod so a drag can fill holes, and knock off humps. For all other work whether loading, or positioning for backhoe, with chains I tear up less if I don't spin. I have two sets, the old Canadian chains with 12" diameter ring, and corks welded to them, and ordinary flattened twist links. The Canadians are reserved for logging in winter. Willie

  17. #17overhaulin2016-05-12 08:52

    Not to many hills where I live, but plenty of snow for the most part. Funny thing, the seller told me this was a 1989 655D and after trying to find some parts I found out that they did not make the model 655D until like 1992. After locating the vehicle tag we come to find out that it is a 1995 655D. :beatsme