I could use some help choosing a truck for my needs. Installed septics with grandfather for years thought grass was greener and pursued other venture. In this time was young didn't pay much attention and now to late. Got sick of inside work and a boss so just retested for design and install license this spring, with a little knowledge from compact excavator forum picked up a 1997 kamatsu pc50 with 3000 hrs changed bucket pins and filters all fluids, painted over the pretty pink trim, total investment 9200 bucks, put in two septics took down three trees paid off machine and pocketed a few dollars Knock on wood. Have a small 40 hp john deere 990 with power rake, back hoe and lots of three point gizmo's. Not to go on tangent but trying to give pert. info for my quest. Looking to buy a single axle dump, one to move machines, be a portable dumpster, and move material on site. Have designed and have three fields lined up to go starting in end of march. Thought of a dump trailer but for 8000 beans I'd rather get into a truck. Don't need the tandem or tri axle for 65-75 bucks an hour to hire one I'll let them have the up keep and insurance ect. Currently interested in a 1987 Kodiak c70 with turbo 3208 cat and 6 speed fuller, for 8500 bucks,air breaks 50000 original miles was a farm owners hey truck had rack now has new dump, pto and pump, not a stitch of rust comes with a plow that was never installed not that i will either. Looked at many fords with gas 370, 429, older int. with 576 (?) snoozed on a 97 int. with dt 466 auto trans with 43ooo miles 7000 bucks. Have 18k in the budget but a good truck for 8 leaves 10 k for a fair 450 deere dozer or small cat not that i really need it but would be handy. Currently haul the 11400 pound excavator behind single wheel gmc 3500 no problem other then may not make the weight if i throw a shovel in the back of truck or use one to many binders. In Gist from searching around some say 3208 is a boat anchor other not. I figure with so many of them out there should be able to get parts. Don't know a thing about a 6 speed fuller trans. Sorry so winded but like many of you this is now my lively hood and someone who is in the business might just be able to shoot me in the right direction before i shoot myself in the foot. Thanks for ant wisdom you might give.
No advise taking a 2 hour trip tomorrow to check out the kodiak a few bewares or good deal maybe what to look for , would be appreciated.
The 8LL transmission is a great trans for a dump with the deep reduction IMO .
You definitely missed the boat on that International. I'd look for another International or a Ford 8000. Much better off with an inline 6 versus a V-8. The Kodiak is worth a look with only 50K original. Good luck.
I agree. A 466 is a great motor, plenty of them running around and parts available. Currently I have a 1999 4700 DT466 with a 5sp spicer in my service truck. It will not win any speed races by any means but it's dependable. A 6sp gives you another gear of course, which is worth it. The 7sp International offered is another option, although from my experiences I hardly ever used the "1st" gear unless on site. The 7sp was in a 2003 4300 with a DT466 as well. Basically you drove that truck like you had a 6sp, starting out in 2nd, unless you needed some low end grunt. Don't have any experience with the older autos and smaller motors but I had a Mack Grantie tri-axle (MP-7) and International tandem (C13 Cat) with allison trans and I wouldn't buy another dump without it.
I would pesonally stay away from gas engine's and auto transmitions.I like the dt466 and the 8.3 cummins. I had a 1990 ford f800 dump with the ford diesel and it was not to bad. I also have had some okay expierences with the 3208, not saying it's what i would look for but for the right truck and the right $ it might not stop me. I would also not look at anything without air brakes but that is just me.
Appreciate the help, hate to make a choice ill regret later even though its not a lot of money its a lot of money to me to be without, thanks
Me too, I wouldn't consider a truck with juice brakes. I wish my F350 had air brakes.
Stay away from the junk 3208 with turbo, The factory is just pulling too much power out of a small engine and they just won't last . Plus its not a sleeved engine , so if the block becomes scored or some other issue, you have a boat anchor . Buy yourself a decent little inter. 466 8 speed or something like that . And get air brakes . Even if you could fine a decent Kenworth , Volvo etc. single axle and put a dump on it. Its not like your hauling 100000 lbs for a 1000 miles . a little overkill might last longer .
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3420722298.html Something like that?
Thats a nice old truck, I've always liked those old Internationals. Where abouts in NH are you Kirt? If you are in the hills, power, gears and air brakes are a must. Good luck!
http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/3460732099.html Not a bad little truck for your operation. 5/2 is a good trans. for a single axle.
I've looked at that ny truck a few times on line, nice truck. I'll give them a buzz, I meant to once before but got side tracked, Nedly how far is this from you and do you know the person with truck. I'm in central nh around sunapee mountain. Like i said in earlier post, will be using mostly on site to move a little fill, move 11,400 lb excavator, small 7000 lb compact loader backhoe combo. I have no intention to make lots of trips with fill, It's just as economical to hire this process done for me and it's good networking to help out the local guys with larger trucks. I have four neighbors within a 1/2 mile radius with tandem and triaxles they treat me well at 65-70 bucks an hour. I'm headed to maine again this morning to look at another 3208 60k miles and a ten ton trailer, and bringing a mech. to look at the kodiak another time. The kodiak is in great shape for year, u folks have me scared of the motor but 50 miles seems like it should have some life. I'll take some photos today and post. Looking at three others in ct this week as well a little deer hunting dump truck hunting combo. Thanks again folks, really appreciate the help.
I have an '87 Chevy C-70 with the 8.2 Detroit, 5 speed split rear, 22,000gvw with hydroboost brakes. It's been so reliable that I really can not raise any issue with it but often am looking at up grading it. Like the 3208, the 8.2 is an absolute slug. It will put you to sleep on flat roads....empty.There are so many nice single screw dumps out there for $6-10,000. I'm always coming back to a Ford L8000 or an International. The Cummins or the DT466 are both great engines and you can easily crank one up to 350hp and have a truck that will run grades and laugh at them. I would also steer away from the split rears and get a 7 speed Fuller or something similar. I also plow snow and the smaller stance/cab configuration keeps my windshield packed with snow when contracted out to the major interstates. The tall stance of the L8000's keeps the glass high and dry. You may not be plowing but the visibility of the taller truck may help you on the job sites. Good luck:scool opcorn
http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/3382819684.html This one has been advertised for some time, 350hp and a 10 speed Fuller sounds like a good combo for the hills. I'd say he needs paint to fetch his price though.
more hand holding on truck 88 l8000 with (6 cylider brazilian) motor 67000 miles, what is it and can i get parts. How are the ford 800 8.2 detroit (79000 miles) motors ,part? Looking at these tomorrow in ct. All 80' model trucks single axle, air brakes. Looking at others as well but you folks have answered most of them, one with the detroit 466 102,000 miles. Can't justify the additional 2000 dollars for similar year model truck with the 466 but I'll take a look maybe sparks will fly.Spent half my budget today on a fiat alis 1987 Dozer with 2375 hours, and a parts machine with 900 hours burnt front end but has the chain group and sprockets needed on running machine. Fell into it today in maine looking at the cat 3208 dumps, one was fair other will pass, price is right but i'll give ct. a look before making decision. Long story short saw an old farmer Old in his early 90's at the gas station, "he was still driving" asked direction and in the Maine drawl he gave me the ,can't get there from here. Told him why I was there and he said follow me i got something for you to see, ended up being an old 50's dump great shape but while there i notice the dozers in the barn, He went and got the key and we fired it up after a jump, runs ,sounds good,clean as can be ,he bought it new when he was 65 ish,other then sprocket chain and roll like new." Not sure if I want to sell it going to fix it someday", Ambitious I thought , Anyway three hours in the barn looking at goats, cows, throwing hey down from the loft,and getting the history of the town he said 11500, i said 8 he laughed or coughed not sure which, we came to terms at 9500, lunch and direction to where I was going. Won't be able to pick up for a couple weeks have to go hunting but it's a deal I'll never forget. 90 years old and going to do the under carriage with nothing but wooden blocks and an old dump truck, crafty fella. A little side tracked but thought it was good story.
Do i understand that the picture of the red ford has a 8.2 detroit, if it is and has air brakes and is not a auto with that few of miles i would be interested if i was you, i will probably be the only one to say that but i think it would work.
4500 dollars or best offer, he bought a dump trailer, sick of paying insurance for something used so little, was the conversation we had.
We run 3 GMC Top Kicks 2 with 3208 and one was repowered with a 3116 it may say CAT but they are kittens if that, and one GMC C70 with an 8.2DD fuel pincher the thing was junk the Co got rid of it. The Top Kicks are ok trucks, basic, rough and gutless we spend most of our time pulling the backhoes with them. There are times when 12 miles an hour are as fast as its going. It might be worth looking at a single screw road tractor and turning it into a dump, they have stronger motors the miles my be high but the engine hours should be low, especially when you start pulling heavier loads and want the power and the jake break. Most of these small motors 7.8,8.2,3208 ect... you can find cheap running take outs easier than you can work on them, that was the case with the 3116. Good Luck
Does the ford have air brakes and a 5x2 transmition. Something a little harder to find but would make a good truck imo would be a single axle mack atleast 20 years old. You would have more of a full size truck with that, and better brakes a heavier front end and axle.
Its a little over an hour from me. I don't know the the person selling it.
Whats the deal on the black International?
I merged the two threads together that kirt started about his search for a single axle dump. Interesting thread, lots of good advice.