Greetings, I own an asphalt production and paving company and have been experiencing delays in getting my milling sub on some of the smaller jobs. I've been wanting to get my feet wet regarding milling and recently purchased a Roadtec RX-25. I intend to do some of our smaller jobs with it and leave the major milling to my sub contractor. I know nothing about operating this machine except whats in the manual which is a page and a half. Having said that, I knew nothing about an asphalt plant or lay down equipment until I learned through research and trial and error. Any help on operating this particular model ….does and dont’s …….pros and cons………..where to find basic milling procedures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Well......
Sorry I dont get around here much... That picture, if thats the machine you mean you may like to ask Roadtec if they have a manual for it. Not many of those were made and the ones that were I believe are/were done. You will be lucky to get parts for it. Should be a good shouldering mill, I wouldn't want to have to be doing alot of manuvering and lifting up and down with it unless I knew for a fact it was good tracks and grade control. With a mill that old, do not horse the steering, try not to put yourself into situations where you have to steer hard in or out of the cut. Do not walk for long distances with the legs all the way up, get into the habit of not raising all the way up when you are moving around or you will flip it onto its side. Try to maintain as straight as possible in the cut or your wear the end rings out on the cutter... I think American Milling from Ashboro NC owned that at one time, they had alot of grade control problems with it but they....werent that swift. Hydramation isnt hard to figure out and you arent that far from Roadtec. Stay in touch, some of us that know feel for that kinda fight, it isnt hard to get under control and when you do, its smooth as silk. The older mills are much easier to sort out than newer. (opinion)
Hiring a experienced operator to run your rx-25, go out on the job with him and have the operator show you how to run your machine the right way,like i said EXPERIENCED,at least couple of weeks of training with the operator and dont be afraid to run the machine while he's there.
Thanks for the advice. I got the machine in my lot where we have a lot of left over mix laid and experimented with it. After a couple of days I have the basics figured out. Roadtec came up and watched me run it and said the machine is in great condition and ready to go to work. Parts don't seem to be a problem other than the tooth holders. Seems roadtec got a little to close to Keystones design and had to quit manufacturing the drums and do not have any holders for them. Keystone said they will be able to help with a modified holder. The machine is exactly the size I was hoping to find....52" drum, on tracks and my price range. The roadtec guy said it was before his time and had never seen one but can't understand why they quit making them. Thanks again
Send some video, I've never seen one.