Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NH 220 Cummins not firing on all 6

Kelly S ยท 2023-12-27 00:48

Recently rebuilt NH 220 engine from Komatsu dozer. On start up could not get #1 and #6 cylinders to fire. Then had all injectors rebuilt, still will not fire on the two cylinders. After checked fuel filter again found canister not full, so float tank was bypassed and fuel filter was connected directly to fuel tank and return put to top of fuel tank. #6 cylinder now firing but still cannot get #1 to spark up. Looking for anyone who may have solution.

Replies10
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-12-27 08:20

    Easy way to check a Cummins style PT injection system for sucking air before the pump and at the pump. In photo below is a highlighted area of fuel shut solenoid, the line coming out/straight up feeds the injectors. Using a tubing/flair nut wrench just barely crack/loosen the line fitting. You only need it loose enough to cause fuel to crown around flair nut and tube. If there is any air in system you will see very fine bubbles or a slight foaming of the fuel, other wise if no air it will run clear. *

  2. #2Truck Shop2023-12-27 08:33

    Oh **** I just answered a question regarding something that has tracks on it. Did I mention I hate things with tracks. lol

  3. #3Vetech632023-12-27 10:39
  4. #4cfherrman2023-12-27 10:41

    My N14 shut off solenoid leaks enough I'd have to crank a lot to reprime the fuel lines so I prime it with a Ford super duty pump. Not sure if it would help you but if you have some sort of fuel pump laying around I'd try it.

  5. #5Vetech632023-12-27 10:42
  6. #6Truck Shop2023-12-27 17:24

    Vetech says we don't need no stinking 220's *

  7. #7chidog2023-12-28 00:13

    All the overhead is set correctly? Was the engine removed to do the rebuild? Or just inframe?

  8. #8Vetech632023-12-28 11:31

    LOL.........dam, I love Homer.

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-12-28 15:04

    Oh you killed me with that one Vetech, mortally wounded I am.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-12-28 23:56

    Doh!