Hello friends! I'm new to the forum and new to heavy equipment except for my NH lx665. Here's my question, I was looking at buying an older New Holland EC130 from a man who has owned it 20 years and has only used it in a salvage yard. Before that his Brother-in-law owned it on a farm. He has not used it in several months so now is selling it. It looks in good shape track wise, cab, seat glass body and sprockets. At least in pics. However, while it was sitting in a remote area of the property, someone had stolen the ECU/ operators control panel out of it. Apparently these are discontinued and very hard to find. Are these machines capable of being converted to mechanical controls or is this basically a piece of scrap metal at this point? I've checked everywhere I could find on the internet, Heavy equip. salvage and parts places and can't seem to locate one anywhere. Thanks for the help.
You have not given much information about the excavator but if I understand this right it is an O&K RH4PMS equipped with a Cummins engine or maybe a RH4.5 if its newer, branded NH EC130. If so there is no problem to modify it from digital electronic system to analog/mecanical system. It is not difficult if you understand how to do it, you will not need any very expensive parts but it is a lot of work. If done properly the result will depending on how much money you want to spend be good or very good. Hydraulic power will be slightly less compared to ECO mode or same as ECO mode. If you manage to find a new control panel and a ECU they have to be configurated to your excavator's specification with a O&K EDS tester. I think you will find access to a O&K EDS tester will be a big problem. Without access to a O&K EDS Tester I would chose to modify the excavator to a analog/mecanical system. Even with access to a EDS Tester it is probably a good idea to modify it because it will be cheaper and more reliable.
Thanks for the reply. This excavator is an older NH ec130, Vin#11727 with a 4BT3 Cummins. It has approx. 5000 hours and the price is below $20k, which is why I'm interested. I plan to use to finish a pond project on my property so it won't see heavy use from me. I'm not sure if I'd be up to the task of the conversion without some sort of information to go by and knowing what the cost may be.
Was New Holland made by Kobelco
I am not aware of any information about how to modify from digital to analog/mecanical system, and I have never done it but I know how it can be done. I can describe the main parts of the conversion to help you understand what to do and why. I can supply you with a simple drawing of the new system and documents of the existing hydraulic and electric system whitch you will need. But you have to understand that when doing a oneoff conversion like this you have to be aware of the possibility of surprises that have to be solved. This conversion is only possible if the the engine rpm is mecanically controlled on the diesel injection pump. If it is electronically controlled I do not know how to do this. You have to check this. Costs: Most expensive parts if your proportional valve is ok is: a 1/4" 6/2 valve, a lever and wire system to adjust engine rpm, a couple of 1/4" hydraulic hoses, a fuse box, a lot of switches, a lot of relays and cables. As far as it is possible you will be using existing parts. You will need a simple kit with a 60 bar gauge to check the proportional pressure. Workhours: I think I would need at least 80 hours. I don`t now how many hours you will need. Other options: There is a company in Berlin, Germany, called MMB Baumaschinen who claim to stock new control panels and new on-board computers. At last, this is an old excavator with some common problems beside the electronic problems. It has to be very cheap.
I'm not sure, wish I knew. There maybe alternatives for the part. I'll have to do more research.
Thanks again! It is an old unit. The guy said he'd give me a "better deal" on it now! Before he discovered the control unit gone, it was priced at $15k. Maybe $10k would make it more appealing? Should be worth that in parts/scrap? It does start, haven't talked to him recently to see if it moves. I imagine tracks are separated from cab operations? I haven't been there to actually look at it yet since it's 5 hours away in northern PA. where they had about 2 feet of snow until recently. From pics the tracks and sprockets look good. Interior is in good shape, paint looks decent along with what I can see from the hoses. Probably worth another call this week. I'll update with my decision when made.