I have an 05 LB75b with an Iveco 445T/M2 that I'm planning on adding three gauges to. Boost, Oil Pressure and Water temp. My machine has a basic temp gauge, an oil dummy light and no boost gauge. The oil and water are pretty straight forward installs to me, but if you have any good spots to tee or add the sensor let me know. I haven't added a boost gauge to a turbo that's never had one. I guess ideally I'd tap into the intake, but access is a little rough. Has anyone already tackled this? Where did you get the boost signal from? I see one vacuum line coming off the turbo. Should I tee off that? Thanks.
Where does that line go off of the turbo? Does it have a waste gate? You could see if there is any port you could use over on the intake it's self. Is there a steel piece you could weld a port in on the intake? Otherwise that rubber line could be ok.
I think the line does go to a waste gate. Here's a pic of the same set up. As far as the intake, I'd have more info on that if I could see it... It's buried pretty well which makes access a big challenge. Looking at pictures of bare intakes it looks like there aren't any ports.
Does the rubber hose from the turbo go all the way to the intake or does it have any metal tubes before it gets there. Ideally you would weld a port in the metal tube but if that isn't very easy to do you could tee into the rubber line to the waste gate and that should be ok.
I believe it actually goes to the compressor output not the intake. I might have to dig a little further to find a better signal point.
It looks like there is plenty of room on the opposite side of the intake. I'll tap in at one of the spots I circled or pointed at below. It's a boost & vacuum gauge anyway so that makes more sense.
The elbow may be the best spot, just be careful it is probably aluminum. The lower spot you circled is usually plastic on those Iveco engines. The gauge should read boost most of the time, probably hardly ever read vacuum.
Intake cover is aluminum thankfully. Both are cast. The elbow is quite a bit thicker so I'll have to figure out if that will be an advantage for the strength of the hole I'll have to drill and thread. Either one shouldn't be bad.
Elbow it is. No drama. Drilled and tapped for an NPT fitting and ran the line. Worked like a charm. Verified my turbo is pumping like it should be. I tested it by stepping on the throttle in first gear. I didn't push it hard and she made about 7psi of boost. Seems about right to me. Next is the oil and temp gauge.