Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NH lb75b clunking issue

Diamond_services ยท 2021-08-19 11:01

Looking at a 2001 lb75b. Machine has 4500hrs. Has a clunk coming from rear end when going over bumps and turning. Im thinking it is an issue in the diff lock. With machine in air w/ bucket and outriggers down and brakes seperated, diff lock engaged, clunk changes with brake application. Zero chatter, and brakes seem in good working order. Doesnt seem like a consistent rotaional noise. Zero play at wheel ends, both end play, and lateral. Drive shaft slip and spline and ujoints are in good shape. No play at yoke as far as pinion issues. Diff oil at correct level and no signs of being contaminated or burned. Any bit of insight would be helpful. I havent spent any time around these new holland machines and looking for some advice before a complete tear down.

Replies10
  1. #1Swetz2021-08-19 11:41

    Any chance it is related to the parking brake. On my 675E, the parking brake is disc style, and I have had an issue with the slide part sticking due to rust...in my case it didn't make noise, but I could see where it would. It is on the back of the trans, but could sound in the same general area??

  2. #2Diamond_services2021-08-19 12:18

    Parking brake is eliminated from from noise and operational.

  3. #3aighead2021-08-19 13:00

    I don't have any input on your question but I do believe I'm the only one active on this site with an LB75b. I'm, for an ignorant operator, very pleased with mine, which is a 2004 model with about the same hourage on it.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-08-19 16:00

    Welcome to HEF, Diamond_services Your opening line says you are "looking at" Did you just buy it ? Are the lug nuts on the rear wheels tight ?

  5. #5Diamond_services2021-08-19 18:05

    Im either going to buy it as a mechanics special, or repair it for my customer. Either way, i want to have a bit more of a direction to go on it. Im trying to give my customer my most honest quote on what it may be to get into it, and keeping my neck off the block if i buy it.

  6. #6Diamond_services2021-08-19 18:06

    Lugs are tight, no wobbly wheels.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-08-19 19:45

    Is it possibly a broken axle ? I'm sure you know how to check for that.

  8. #8Diamond_services2021-08-19 20:08

    Not a broken axle, but stripped off splines crossed my mind, but... cant replicate it and see the tire/tires want to jerk in a way that splines are catching and then slipping. Although a failure like that would show up in oil...

  9. #9NH575E2021-08-20 20:56

    Have you looked at the universal joints and driveshaft spline? Do you have manuals for it?

  10. #10Diamond_services2021-08-20 22:08

    Yup.