As the title states my skid steer is loosing power and stalling when I put it under a load. It will idle fine and low and full throttle. I’ve had this problem for quite some time and have had a injector pump replaced along with new filters all around. To start it back up, requires the prime valve to be loosened until fuel comes out and then tightened back when it starts. I’ve cleaned my tank out and done my best to spray soapy water on all the lines while it’s idling. I’ve also replaced the fuel pump
Do it again. Not sure what else you can replace. I'd take all the fuel lines between the injection pump and tank apart, run a wire through them, blow out with water, then air. Inspect every fitting. Run off a temporary tank to see if that fixes it. What's the smoke look like when it sputters? black, white, none? puffy, or smooth and consistent?
Sounds like an issue with the return circuit to me, you might make sure all that is open and fuel can return to the tank. Otherwise it will lock up the injector pump.
I have never noticed any smoke. The fuel line were replaced also I forgot to mention that.
Pinch the supply line off from the tank and remove the whole water separator assembly (loosen pump locking ring first, to make it easier to disassemble). Fully disassemble the filter head, and especially check the concentric fill tube for buildup (obstruction). See arrow... If anything is found, after cleaning it out, add a Napa 3972 between it and the tank. Search "3972" on here for many, many others having the same problem.
I have also found that many, many people lose (omit) #19 when moving the separator bowl from filter to filter.
Thanks I’ll give it a shot. This is what my filter, head and pump looks like. I don’t have the water separator peace at the bottom just the black turn thing to let water out.
I’m sure mine is old. I just ordered a new head from asap
Why? I've only ever replaced one and it was for the collar threads and corrosion. I've got at least 50 of that style in service. Remove the restriction, if present.
You say you've changed the lift pump? In that picture it looks like it's been there quite awhile. They have a screen in them that can plug as well.
Yes the fuel pump was changed and seems to pump fine. Does anyone know part numbers for the threaded stud and the other plug. Or how to remove these. Looks to me that they are pressed in. This is my fuel filter head. on top of it all I was attempting to install the new fuel filter head yesterday but had to quit because of those two parts I was unaware of. While I placed the old one back on I had to get the fuel back into the lines. It turned over fine but then just quit. Not the dash lights dim and then completely cut off when the key is turned. And if they do stay on the starter just clicks once. This will be my 3rd started in the past 2 years and I haven’t even ran it much because of the fuel issue. This thing is becoming a headache.
Yes the fuel pump was changed and seems to pump fine.
Sounds like you might have run the battery down? charge the battery up and see what it does, or use a voltmeter to see where you're getting power while you try to crank it. Checking when the key is not in "start" might not show you the issue. Check under load. Probably a loose connection if the battery still has a charge. Then keep working on the fuel system, you have the good advice already.
Thanks I got the battery on the charger. Hopefully that does the trick then I can continue with my fuel issues.
Had a loose ground cable on battery.
Guess I'll hop on your thread since I'm also working on my LS180 (again)! My Ls180 is also low on power. It will start, low idle, and high idle fine. When you put a load on it (driving, using hydraulics) the rpms will drop. Harder the load, more the rpm drop. The throttle response is really slow (I disconnected the throttle linkage at the injection pump and feathered it by hand... it has almost no response). I suspect I need the injection pump rebuilt. Going to throw a new fuel filter on it and see it that helps any, but I already tested the lift pump by disconnecting the line from the lift pump to the injection pump and it poured fuel into a container just fine. Do you guys have a pump rebuild service that you suggest? Last time (~2 years ago) I used a nearby shop and it was $1350.
Well I dodged a bullet! Changed out the fuel filter, cleaned the filter head assembly, and blew air through the fuel lines. She's running great again. Advance auto didn't have the standard size fuel filter in stock, so I took a chance on the 7" one, carquest 86633. Fits just right, narrowly missing the starter.
Glad you figured it out. Still working on mine
Where are you at in your repair?