Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Nice bit of old film

Scrub Puller ยท 2013-09-29 01:20

Yair . . . found this black and white clip of my old profession . . . pity it's not longer. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-methods-clear-bush Cheers

Replies7
  1. #1robin yates uk2013-09-29 01:50

    very interesting clip Scrub.My cousin John lived in Rhodesia till Mugabe took over.He moved to New Zealand then

  2. #2Plant Fitter2013-09-29 03:13

    What were the balls usually filled with?

  3. #3D6 Merv2013-09-30 01:31

    'we all got balls and brains' 'But some got balls and chains' Nice one scrub; never heard or knew of any 'chaining' in nz, was all roller or blade crushing on scrub here, cheers merv :drinkup

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-09-30 02:34

    Yair . . . Cheers fellers. Plant Fitter. In Queensland the balls had pretty much gone out before I got into the game in 1959 The ones I pulled on a couple of occasions were much like those in that clip and were known as "hi-balls". I believe some were up to fourteen feet in diameter. They were heavy ribbed internally, skinned with half inch plate and hollow. They originally had a bearing arrangement on the four inch shaft but were back to running metal to metal when I used them. They could be positioned on an individual tree to get the chain up at least half the diameter and gain a bit of purchase but it was a lot of messing around. The film clip mentions they were meant to keep the chain down but that was the purpose of the "lo-balls" which were solid cast and about two foot six in diameter. We never used either as they were a high maintenance item and a b*****d to load and shift. Cheers

  5. #5donkey doctor2013-09-30 09:01

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg Sorry Scrub puller I just couldn't resist. Regards d.d.

  6. #6Scrub Puller2013-09-30 19:17

    Yair . . . LOL. Gotcha donkey doctor . I actually listened to an AC/DC track . . . once. (he grins) Cheers

  7. #7mitch5042013-09-30 19:55

    That was my first one, I listened close to 3/4 of the way through.