Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Nick names or handles in the brush or truck………..

Redwood Climber ยท 2011-06-18 22:42

Do we have a thread for the nicknames of the fellows we worked with? I was so lucky to have worked with some of the most interesting of characters.......like Hooter....Pinky......By Gollies.......By Doggies....Richochet.....Twinkle Toes, which was shortened to Toes.......Flaud.....Then of course there is always a Red......Cotton.......Professor knew everything there was to know, hence his name.....then Double Nickle........Happy Hooker.......Sniveler, shortened to Snive........Snag'm Sam and Double Dip. How about your current or former coworkers?

Replies11
  1. #169hayes2011-06-19 00:43

    I earned the nickname of Pinch because of all the times i got my saw stuck,one of the guys was named Bird, he was so light he could walk on top of the fresh frozen snow while the rest of us fell through up to our waists

  2. #2jr-transport2011-06-19 10:21

    My dad had a few 90 mph George, Running shoe George, and a few more I dont remember; I got the name Qualifier. Some of the other truckers got names like Cubby, Hollywood, Flipper, Rook, Cap'n Freigtliner. We also have a skidder operator called Boomer and Chipper operators The Situation, Pyro,and My Guy. I'll put up some more If I remember 'em.

  3. #3Hallback2011-06-19 19:02

    Hallback as my last name is Hall and The "Destroyer" as I very hard on tools and riggin' when younger and Stretch as I am 6'4" also.

  4. #4Vigilant2011-06-19 19:41

    My dad had a foreman they called Fag. That was part of his last name. Great big burly fella, just as nice as could be. Good people. That was also his wife's favorite nickname for him. They mad quite a couple. They also had a shop foreman they called 'Bugs'. That's the best I can do off the top of my head.

  5. #5Dualie2011-06-20 01:12

    when i was a young buck i earned the name of destructo. We had, slick, fuzzy nuts, just shortened to fuzzy. Bubba who was 6'6" 315lbs, Killdozer, (burned up two dozers in a weeks time through no fault of his own) boomer. And uncle eddy.

  6. #6Redwood Climber2011-06-20 22:36

    How about Humpey Joe? As a kid I hunted all over the Mad River and Redwood Creek drainages with my Dad. "Humpey Joe was here" was written on the end of logs all over that country........Humpey Joe could really get around........maybe there was more than one?

  7. #7Sidney432011-06-21 01:42

    My Dad's nickname was Turk, which had something to do with a turkey at some point in his younger days. One of his truckers was called Toke, real name was Lester, but it seems like in No. Calif logging most guys were just referred to by their last names.

  8. #8NZ Logger2011-06-21 02:18

    Find this quite an interesting thread as down here in NZ we are the capital of "nicknames" "Turbo"..thats how fast his mouth went "Knowledge".. he new everything "Bum Bum"..talked twice as much c%#p as anyone elese "Asprin"..slow working dope "FIGJAM".. F@#k I'm good just ask me "Tex" his mouth was as big as Texas "Spanky".. self abuse guy "Slab".. he was two inches thicker than a "Plank"

  9. #9furpo2011-06-21 03:40

    Similar to NZ logger, There is always a, "Radio" or "Jaws" is the crew. "Bum Bum" is common particularly with the transporter drivers. Down here there appears to be generic names like "Mate", "Bro", "Gun", "Killa" , "Cracker". No prizes for guessing my nickname though I have serveral

  10. #10NZ Logger2011-06-21 05:16

    "Bum Bum" is common particularly with the transporter drivers" ?????? only the boy

  11. #11Redwood Climber2011-06-21 08:35

    Our "fast talker was nicknamed "Tommy Talk Alot".........shortened to "talk alot".............then we had a "gabby"............an hour and a half crummy ride & this guy would jabber the whole way, he was a nice guy but sometimes silence is golden."Bumpy" had a knot on his forehead about 1 &1/2 in diameter (no one ever measured it). "Android" was out of this world..... then we had "Space Case"...........he was a good worker, always on the fly......."Fruit Loop" was a real character..........gosh there are so many I forgot.....