Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

nikola electric truck

kenh ยท 2016-06-20 10:17

I am a bit dubious about their claims. The Turbine would be operating most of the time, and the stated fuel usage is 20-25 gals/hour! Opinions? http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103987_nikola-one-2000-hp-natural-gas-electric-semi-truck-announced

Replies2
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2016-06-20 11:58

    The way I read it, the turbine burns that much when it runs, but it only runs part time as needed. Flat cruising and downhill running it is off, unless the batteries run low on charge. Many miles are done on battery power alone. They mention a 1200 mile range on fuel, which is a two day run, and it obviously does not carry 500 gallons of fuel. I like that it is innovative,and a shake up of the way things are normally done. I hope it works out. They are claiming 7,000 pre orders already

  2. #2Delmer2016-06-20 13:10

    As I read it, that whole article is 100% projections. It's not hard to operate in "stealth mode" when all you are is a fantasy company. I like the thinking outside the box, natural gas is the way to go AT THE MOMENT, and a turbine might make as much sense as conventional drivetrain? Hybrid electric tech in a truck is a bad application though, very low utilization compared to something like a garbage truck or mine haul truck.