I posted the links on Heavy Truck Forums. http://www.heavytruckforums.com/sho...0-V8-in-a-Nissan-Titan&p=387&posted=1#post387 Interesting concept to say the least, I wonder where this will go with the light end of the light truck market?
i would love to see an inline 6 under the hood of a ford
I have two thoughts. 1. Remember the 555. 2. I hate to see a Cummins like that wasted on a Dotson. 3. What about U D?
I don't know if this post is funny or sad.^ The Titan is designed and built in the good ol' US of A by Americans in America. In fact, "Japanese" trucks are probably made from more "American" components that any of the big 3's offerings these days.
What's the 555?
A piece of junk. It was probably the most unsuccessful engine Cummins built in recent memory.
The Triple Nickel was universally reviled in trucks. Some people like them for industrial engines. I believe a couple of manufacturers used them in wheeled skidders.
LOL........We had the triple nickels in Diamond Reo's. Lots of main bearings failures, couldnt keep them together,very high RPM's (I think around 3200rpm). Great for the larger boats...........if being used for as an anchor.
The Titan is on an aging platform and sales are sagging right now. They need a big shot in the arm and are looking to do so the same way Dodge did in the late 80's. I am not a fan of the Titan in any way, think its ugly as all get out truthfully but I believe this will be a tremendous aid to the light duty diesel segment in the US. We desperately need someone to step up and put the first 1/2 ton diesel out. Ford will be second as they are withholding theirs due to having no competition in this segment of the market as of now. The Titans are made in Tennessee and the Cummins sourced engine will be made here as well which is more than Ford can say about their new Powerstroke that's made in Mexico. This will be interesting to see.
Actually they wouldn't be the first considering chevy had offered diesel the 1500 and in the blazer previously.
Yes, they did. That first one was a doozy, a converted 350 Chevy(or was it Oldsmobile) gas engine. It literally would not get out of its own way, and then only long enough to break the crankshaft or limp back to the dealer for many, many repairs. My buddy had one of the nicest half ton 1979 Chevy Silverado pickups contaminated with it. I was 15 at the time and I swear that I could have built a better engine in my garage with spare parts. It was a pitiful time in American automotive history as far as I was concerned...and convinced me that GM was a genuine fake. I believe they lost a lot of loyal customers over this one, never to come back. Then they had the foresight to come out with the 6.2 liter in about 1981 and it was a whole lot better, which could make it to nearly 50K miles before it blew up...but hey they sold about a million of them to the US Army in 1 ton single wheel 4x4 pickups and Chevy half ton Blazers. At least we had a surplus of salvage parts from the local Army base to choose from. It's funny that you'd expect a lot more from the manufacturer of the 2 stroke Jimmy. Even though it leaked like hell, they were decades ahead of these two engines in every aspect. You'd think there could've been a technology transfer there for the light truck market...never did figure that out.
Dodge 1500 late 2013 will offer a 3.0l Mercedes.
Supposedly but my local dodge dealer wouldn't let me pre order one saying they have no clue when it be available
I thought it was a Merc engine too but it's from a GM based engine. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/fiat-chrysler-3-0l-diesel-v6-is-actually-a-gm-engine/
Well GM might have screwed up, the diesel tech at the local dodge garage just got back from school for the new little diesel, and was able drive one. From what I gather, it sounds like a little power house. Only thing I wonder is how well it will sell, diesel is still $4 a gallon around here, a we all know how auto makers tend to fudge the fuel economy numbers.
One article said the engine option will be $2850, which isn't bad, that's retail. Diesel around here is running close to premium - $3.70 for premium and $3.79 for diesel on average. If the engine gets the mileage it could be a viable option. The 6.7 in my F350 gets on average 15 MPG taking into account varying weights I carry, sometimes 88 gal of fuel in the slip tank and all sorts of crap in the back. Pulling a bobcat on a tag I average 10-11. On the HWY running 75 I average 17 mpg, not too bad considering the weight of the truck. At the scrap yard the scales said my truck grossed 9500 lbs empty, which I am skeptical of.