Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NJ explosion 12/13/05

digger242j ยท 2005-12-14 01:28

This incident was on the news. One of the stories found online says in part, "Law enforcement and utility company officials said preliminary investigations showed that a pit dug by construction workers who were trying to remove an underground oil tank collapsed and pinched a gas line just before 9 a.m. Utility crews were sent to the scene after residents nearby reported the odor of gas; 30 minutes later, the explosion shook the area." Anybody know any more details? I'm always skeptical about the media's ability to get the details straight. What do they mean by "pinched" a gas line?

Replies3
  1. #1BRL2005-12-14 16:01

    My guess to pinched line means it was "crushed" but not actually cut or broken in 2. Couldn't find much in the online news but it sure looked bad. 3 people died & some others were unaccounted for as of the writings. http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051213/NEWS/51213001&SearchID=73229456298393 http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/daily...ew_gallery.cgi/njo/view_gallery.ata?g_id=5724 http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1134538972136100.xml?starledger?ntop&coll=1

  2. #2BRL2005-12-25 23:42

    Some updates: http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1134713945120340.xml?starledger?nnj&coll=1 I found it interesting to read that the NTSB does the investigation, I guess they have a broader responsibility than just transportation accidents. I hadn't known that. I also read in another paper that the woman who landed in the apartment a floor below her's is suing. She received 80 stitches & was in the hospital for 2 days. She is suing the contractor for negligence and is suing the Utility for not properly marking out the lines. I can't find that story on line to link to unfortunately.

  3. #3digger242j2005-12-26 07:36

    I don't have time to check right now, but my impression is that the pipe might be considered a form of "transportation", which would put it under their jurisdiction. I could be mistaken...