I've got a 1948(?) D8-2U with a No. 25 cable winch on the back for the dozer. It raises the blade great and let's it down great. However, after a little bit of running it won't hold position on the blade. It's just up or down. I've got the Caterpillar service manual for the No. 21, 23, 24, and 25 winch units. From What I can gather it is supposed to release the brake both for letting the blade down AND for lifting the blade. It seems that it should be releasing the brake when the clutch is engaged. I think that since the brake doesn't seem to disengage when I move the lever to the raise position that the brake is overheating and sort of glazing up. I can't figure out how to adjust it so that it will release the brake both ways so I can here looking for help. If anyone knows what my issue is or has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.
Run it through the adjustments (attached)
I believe I have everything in adjustment but it still can't seem to see the brake release when I pull the lever to engage the clutch. I feel like I should be able to see it.
Yes, you should be able to see the operating positions of the linkage.
I'll get it all in good adjustment, if I still have issues with the brake not holding after a while of running where would you look?
If the linkage is working correctly but still a problem then look into the condition of the brake bands.
Sounds good. They're running it right now and it seems to be working good. Do you know much about TD-18 International cats? That or someone who would? We've got wmone with a stuck motor and we're trying to figure out how to turn it to try get it loose. The manual says that you can't try pull start it. I'm stumped on it.
Sorry, not familiar with the TD-18's
TD-18 If its a direct drive put it in high gear and try pushing it. Could always have someone operate the clutch and get it moving a bit first. If you think it got water in the cylinders remove all injectors first. And no I don't know much about TD-18's.
You could removed the startor and try with a big screw driver turning the flywell but first desangage the master cluch,transmission and hydrolic lever
The King Of Obsolete would take an old starter apart and weld a short pipe to the armature, then bolt it on to the engine, stick a bar in the pipe and try to bar it over using the mechanical advantage of the gears. He's resurrected several machines that fell through the ice up north. Found the link: https://kingofobsolete.ca/KING'S_BAR_STARTER_WEBPAGE.html
KOO is darn good mechanic and innovator.
yes Joey knows all about TD6, TD9, TD18 crawlers. He even converted his TD18 to direct electric start too i think ?