Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

no drive on Case 590 super m

gasser001 · 2025-07-29 11:21

Hey members, I have a Case 590 Super M that while removing a stump, put it into forward and it wanted to move but only rolled 6 inches in forward or reverse, eventually nothing. Previous to that, the drive worked normally, I got to position the backhoe with no problem, what could have gone wrong when it was working 3 minutes prior? I checked the oil level and it was fine with no leaks, what should I check first?

Replies9
  1. #1alrman2025-07-29 22:09

    Could you please specify if you have a shuttleshift (FNR lever with a manual 4sp gearshift on RH of steering wheel) or powershift (FNR lever with 1234 twist selection) transmission, 2WD or 4WD. We can give more specific advice.

  2. #2gasser0012025-07-30 21:29

    It's a shuttle shift on a 2wd

  3. #3Samarskii_ma2025-07-31 03:24

    Check solenoid FWR-REVERS

  4. #4gasser0012025-07-31 12:41

    I found two wires that lead to a hydraulic solenoid on the right frame cut, I'm hoping its the f/r drive and that would remedy the problem, but it seems like its been like that for a while. As far as I know, all hydraulics were working. I will repair the wires today, will report the result. Thanks for the response.

  5. #5highwayghost2025-07-31 13:47

    With yours having the shuttle shift it might have the time delay relay that is faulty. If it failed or is removed then it won’t go into gear. Search ’time delay relay’ for several threads with information related to Case machines.

  6. #6gasser0012025-07-31 19:53

    I repaired the wires and it still won't drive. when I select a drive on the shuttle, I can hear a buzzing or humming sound around the transmission, hard to pinpoint if it's the torque converter or in the trans with the engine making so much noise. I will now search for any time delay posts.

  7. #7Tinkerer2025-07-31 22:19

    Defective relays sometimes make buzzing or humming noises. A Piece of quarter inch or 3/8 inch hose about 3 feet long , hold one end up to your ear and use the other end to find the noise.

  8. #8gasser0012025-08-01 00:14

    Thanks to all the members who had ideas on what to check and a special shout out to highway ghost who suggested checking on the time delay relay, I checked all of the relays under the cover, some of the blades on some relays were corroded so I die electric greased them all. Started the machine and initially it had no drive, but I wiggled the delay relay and lo and behold, the wheels turned, put the machine down and I could drive to the air compressor to load my tires. Forums like this sure cut down on the diagnosis time, I have the greatest respect for all of you! Thank you all very much! To tinkerer, I would have done what you suggested next, after thinking about it, that buzzing sound seemed to have come from under the cover. Thanks again guys!

  9. #9highwayghost2025-08-01 06:22

    Thanks for the update. I can’t take much credit for the win. Just passing along what I learned from the forum a few years back when I went through it. Tinkerer, Alrman and others were there helping me. The knowledge shared by the members is a great asset. You might follow up by figuring out the relay and having a plan to bypass it so you can move the machine if it happens again to get you out of a jam. The relay is not common and rather expensive. Think safety first when doing this as it may roll unexpectedly.