So went to look at this machine and the down pressure is very weak. Tried lifting the machine with the bucket, the outriggers, and the hoe. It tries but doesn't come up off the ground. Tried at hi idle and didn't seem ton make any difference. All other hydraulic functions seemed to work okay, as far as I could tell from an auction inspection. Other than this issue it seems to be a well functioning, well maintained machine. My thoughts are could be a clogged filter (doubtful) or a weak pump. Anyone have any thoughts or have experience replacing a pump on one of these? Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate it. https://www.rbauction.com/1994-JOHN...=10567448&id=ci&auction=SACRAMENTO-CA-2018211
I have a similar Cat machine. Cylinders could be leaking a little internally. I often have to use the hoe to help the stabilizers pick the machine up but the loader boom or bucket should pick the front end up fairly easily especially if the stabilizers and hoe are lifted up. The backhoe boom lifts the machine easily and the hoe will drag the machine around. Check that the quick couplers for the hoe are fully connected. Running with the machine with these disconnected will dead head the pump and likely crack the case. Possibly a bigger issue with this machine is the extra high single grouser bars attached. Well maintained or well abused??? The hoe adds approx. 4000lbs on the back and the single grousers could be wreaking havoc on the final drives. Loaders do a lot more turning than dozers which is the reason for shorter 2 bar or 3 bar grousers. Much easier on the drive train.
I also think it should lift the front of the machine with ease. The grouser bar that they welded to the pads looks pretty extreme in my opinion. I have run a number of loaders equipped with blades that had single grouser pads on them but we usually put used pads on them that the grousers were wore down some. Like Welder Dave said, basically too much traction can be hard on final drives. Just my $.02
Find the heat. IF you can look at it when it's cold, start it up and hold the loader down for ten seconds, shut it off with the loader still held down, jump off and check the pump, valve and cylinder for heat. An infrared thermometer works, a thermal imaging camera is quicker, your fingers should work fine too if you can reach the components, on a cool misty morning you can sometimes get stuff to "steam".
Thanks for the comments guys. The auction is tomorrow, I think I'm going to pass. When I saw the built-up grousers I thought, "Wow, that thing will go anywhere" (I have some very steep and rugged ground) but I hadn't thought about the extra stress it would be putting on the final drives. I wouldn't really be doing lots of "loading" with it, just more of an all around the ranch machine. Kind of leaning more towards a mini excavator anyway, but I always figure you can't have too much equipment! Thanks again.