Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No more WD40 and Brake Clean in Canada?????

92U 3406 · 2023-09-08 00:29

Been hearing internet rumours that Canada will be banning the sale of products containing more than 10% VOCs on Jan 1, 2024. Supposedly this includes WD40 and brake clean. No idea if it just applies to the product in aerosol form or if that covers it in bulk containers as well.

Replies40
  1. #1Delmer2023-09-08 01:35

    Yep, just throw out all the old stuff and buy newer cleaner stuff, that will save the environment! There are low voc products coming more and more here, mostly useless, as in mostly more vocs for the effectiveness. I didn't know they're mandated, but can't imagine why else they'd be here.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2023-09-08 01:37

    It will be hard to ban gasoline in a spray bottle if that is what it comes to. Gasoline is pretty much the same stuff as brake cleaner.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2023-09-08 02:25

    I go thru a case of B.C. in a week.. The wife gets it at Walmart.. About a month ago there was none on the shelf and she inquired why…& was told they won’t be carrying it anymore.. But a month later it fully stocked..same formula as far as I can tell..

  4. #492U 34062023-09-08 07:54

    Its just getting silly. Banning the sale of these products is just lip service when there are countries out there practicing zero environmental responsibility. I'm all for a cleaner planet but realistically how much difference will this make in the grand scheme of things? I'm really curious as to if its just the aerosol versions of the products being banned or if the products themselves being banned?

  5. #5Old Doug2023-09-08 08:36

    I think we are along ways off from figuring out what we are doing to the planet but we also need to start really thing about stuff and try to do what is best for the earth even if we have to change the way we do stuff. Its a mess.

  6. #6Mobiltech2023-09-08 09:08
  7. #7Vetech632023-09-08 10:26

    Don't even get me started ... ...

  8. #892U 34062023-09-08 14:38

    So in other words its just another made up, BS way of taxing us more.

  9. #956wrench2023-09-09 10:09

    I read that they ( WD 40) are going to reformulate it

  10. #10Gardozer2023-09-09 13:29

    Tyrants suck. As was pointed out already,. We are doing fine with the environment here, it’s the third world countries that don’t care what they do. instead of busting our chops, them that are so concerned about the situation should work on the problem countries.

  11. #11stinky642023-09-09 15:47

    WD41 the kinder gentler slippery stuff.

  12. #12Camshawn2023-09-09 22:10

    We know more than when we were young about doing better for the environment. At our house, we try to reduce packaging when we buy, combine trips to lessen how much we drive, if we order on line, we try to get many things at once to try and reduce the number of deliveries. We recycle as much as possible, pick the car or truck that best suits the task, don’t dump oil on the ground or burn it any more. little things that all add up to a better world. No regulation involved! and that environmentally friendly paint is not when you have to resandblast and repaint your project because it is sh**. No savings there.

  13. #13Talltexan2023-09-09 23:12

    Parking lot paint now has 1/2 the VOCs it had 6 years ago. HOWEVER you have to paint the stripes 3 to 4 times as often Seems to me we are putting more VOCs into the air

  14. #14JLarson2023-09-10 02:00

    Banning brake clean should be considered a crime against humanity.

  15. #15OzDozer2023-09-10 06:17

    I thought the ban was more about the chlorofluorocarbon propellants in spray cans, rather than the products themselves? There's some pretty potent gases powering spray cans, and AFAIC, it's not just their effect on the Earths atmosphere, they're also harmful to the health of users. I for one, would like to see a lot more effort go into producing spray can gases that are less toxic and less atmosphere-damaging - and simply making re-usable spray containers powered by air has to be one area where the toxic gases could be eliminated. I used to have a re-useable spray bottle setup called Preval, it had a refillable screw-on jar for whatever you wanted to spray. But the problem with the Preval unit was having to continually buy a new "power unit" to provide the pressure for spraying. I reckon modifying a Preval unit with a tyre valve and pumping it up with an air compressor would have been a sales winner. Preval 1567 Complete Sprayer : Amazon.com.au: Garden Preval 1567 Complete Sprayer : Amazon.com.au: Garden www.amazon.com.au

  16. #16TCat2023-09-10 09:08

    Harbor Freight came out with these a few months ago and they work well. They didn't invent them as they always copy stuff that's already around. Napa has a similar item. Great for bulk degreaser and now I don't lose 1/3 of a can of PB Blaster when the propellent doesn't push all of the liquid out. 32 oz. Refillable Pressurized Sprayer Amazing deals on this 32Oz Refillable Pressurized Sprayer at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices. www.harborfreight.com This was probably the original I guess Sure Shot Sure Shot www.amazon.com

  17. #17kshansen2023-09-10 09:49

    Those Preval units are far from new! I used one to paint a motorcycle back in 1967 or so! I'd have to look but it might still be somewhere out in the garage!

  18. #18Delmer2023-09-10 09:57

    It's not the propellants, it's the products themselves. Non flammable brake cleaner is a nasty chlorinated solvent, Perc/perchloro something maybe? Flammable brake cleaner is acetone and a couple other solvents, pure VOC. Requiring brake cleaner to be less than 40% VOC means it's garbage and doesn't work. Eliminating penetrating oils, if that's part of it, will add huge labor and parts costs, that's not just money, it's resources, new steel, transportation, etc. As far as I can see it so far, just another regulation dreamed up by people who have no idea how they get fed and their asses get wiped everyday.

  19. #19OzDozer2023-09-10 10:43

    I don't think the hydrocarbon and penetrant and solvent cleaner industries are going to disappear overnight - they're major industries, and ones that we can't do without. However, the vast majority of these products do have a history of being carcinogenic, with some a lot worse than others. There's regular attempts to find alternative solvents and cleaners, with the chlorinated solvents gradually being shied away from, and other alternative hydrocarbons replacing them. However, the change is being driven by the desire to move away from atmospheric-polluting chemicals, to ones that are not so damaging to the atmosphere - but the concern is still there, that any newer-style "atmospheric-friendly" solvents and cleaners could be just as carcinogenic or more carcinogenic than the older types of solvents and cleaners. I just looked up the MSDS's of a couple of locally-produced brake cleaners, and one uses 1-bromopropane (an organobromine compound) and the other uses a mixture of a light naptha aliphatic solvent, Isopropyl alcohol, and Ethyl acetate. 1-bromopropane is a pretty potent carcinogen and the light naptha aliphatic solvents are still members of the benzene family, so not exactly human-friendly if you're using them day-in, day-out in confined conditions. So, on the one hand, some atmospheric gain in going away from chlorinated and fluoro hydrocarbons, but no gain in a reduction in carcinogenity. It'd be great if the chemists could find new solvents and cleaner that were atmospheric-friendly, and low carcinogenity at the same time.

  20. #2092U 34062023-09-10 12:23

    I've rarely ever used penetrating oil. Never noticed any difference with or without it. Brake clean is somewhat of a neccessity though. Haven't seen a decent cleaner that will dry with minimal residue. Its all ok in a shop environment where you've got access to a pressure washer but in the field is where its going to suck.

  21. #21Birken Vogt2023-09-10 21:30

    I don't think it really penetrates very far into anything to make a difference breaking loose, but once the nut starts to travel on the rusty stud it makes a huge difference then. Sometimes they break free only to bind up and snap later down the threads.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2023-09-10 21:51

    I can't see why anyone has use for wd40 I find it useless. But brake clean thats hard to live with out.

  23. #23Birken Vogt2023-09-10 22:53

    I don't use WD40 either to be specific, I use PB blaster mostly.

  24. #24Old Doug2023-09-11 08:30

    Every one that uses PB blaster need to watch the videos were it is being tested. I dont think much of penetrating oils ether it just dosent seem to do much but i will keep using it anyway. I have a case of WD 40 that no longer sprays that Dad got some were . I will get a spray bottle and dump it in there to use it.

  25. #25Birken Vogt2023-09-11 10:05

    One thing I have found by accident, others seem to have found it too, is the idea that acetone/brake cleaner can thin out penetrating oil (or any oil) and get deeper into the whatever. But I rarely have the time or the inclination to actually do it.

  26. #2656wrench2023-09-11 10:18

    I like WD40 for padlocks with keys because the light residue doesn’t gum up the little internal pins and springs in the key mechanism

  27. #27materthegreater2023-09-11 22:01

    Seafoam Deep Creep is my favorite. Doesn't have the nasty smell of PB blaster and has many other uses also.

  28. #28OzDozer2023-09-12 08:35

    I've got WD40 in my shop consumables collection, but I only use when there's nothing else to hand. Inox MX3 is the superior product in my neck of the woods. A lot of restorers swear by a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone.

  29. #29The Peej2023-09-12 09:27

    WD40 is a detergent oil, I have found it's success is short lived. Anything needing a lasting dry lubricant like locks I used Fluid Film

  30. #30TCat2023-09-12 09:27

    I’ve heard that too, but never tried it. Is that for a break free type of use or general lubricant?

  31. #31Birken Vogt2023-09-12 09:31

    The acetone will penetrate any tiny space, and the oil provides the lubrication. So it is an alternate penetrating oil that may work better than store bought.

  32. #32OzDozer2023-09-12 20:26

    The 50/50 ATF/Acetone mix is greatly favoured by restorers as a recipe to free up stuck engines. Apparently there is a high level of anti-corrosion additives in ATF, as well as additives that dissolve carbon deposits - so when the ATF is thinned down with Acetone (which is a solvent cleaner in itself), the mix has excellent penetration properties. However, it is a slow-acting mix, most restorers leave the mix in a stuck engine for a couple of days at least. Most people want a fast-acting penetrant in a spray can, and one that dissolves rust as well as penetrating. In my experience, heat is the most effective rust bond breaker - although the "freeze and release" spray products can be effective in many situations, too.

  33. #33Drag racer2023-09-12 22:07
  34. #34Drag racer2023-09-12 22:28

    The best penetrant I have found.

  35. #35chidog2023-09-12 23:06

    I bet they don't ban the super voc's. Airlines dumping fuel.

  36. #36Simon C2023-09-15 23:02

    WD 40 works excellent to check small motors for whether the problem is spark or gas related. I pull the plug, bring piston to the top. heat top of piston for 15 seconds, then heat with my hand torch with mapp gas the spark plug till almost red on end . Then quickly heat cylinder for 10 seconds again, heat plug for 5 seconds spray WD40 into cylinder with little red pipe on can for 5 seconds thread in plug and start. If it fires right up I then suspect a fuel problem. I have pulled a lawn mower carb and tank right off and run unit non stop by spraying directly into air intake for 5 minutes and engine never stalled. Also great for breaking up oil stains on clothes. Useless as a penetrating oil compared to Deep Creep, or Moovit. That what I use it for. Simon C

  37. #37willie592023-09-15 23:17

    WD-40 is an excellent "quick lube". No, it's not a penetrating lube per se, just a good quick slickum. Squeaky hinges, WD, diagonal cutters getting stiff, WD. Heck, I spray the inside of hydraulic cylinders when I re-seal them just to give it a quick lube when I'm stuffing the cylinder together. It's just a good all purpose quick lube that's not harmful to paint. As for brake clean, at least for now, in my area I can still get the good stuff with tetrachloroethylene.

  38. #38Coaldust2023-09-15 23:36

    Kroil, Mouse Milk, or Ed’s Red (equal parts acetone, ATF, Jet A). That will make your nuts loose.

  39. #39IceHole2023-09-16 00:13

    Walmart have good prices? Last I was there it was like $5 a can. I did a "holleee!" I get it by the case at Schucks for around $2 a can.

  40. #40chidog2023-09-16 03:40

    At many machine shops we used it on tables and fixtures to keep them from rusting, both before clamping together and or storage. Never had a rusting problem, even with water soluble coolant being used. WD-40. Yeah one airliner dump episode would put out more atmospheric VOC's than probably a whole country using WD-40 at the same time.